• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Matrix math

This topic is 3319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are these two functions equivalent? Also, is it safe to drop the 4th component of the resulting matrix like the author did? I assume it is, when the result has a 1 in the 4th component, but will it? The only way I see it having a 1 is if the 4th column of the rotation matrix is 0,0,0,1. However I do not know if the rotation matrix always will? Original:
void FlightCamera::TransformAxis(D3DXVECTOR3 & axis)
{
   // Build a matrix from the camera's orientation
   D3DXMATRIX	matRotation;
   D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&matRotation, &m_orientation); 

// Transform the queried axis vector by the matrix.
   D3DVECTOR	newAxis;
   newAxis.x = axis.x * matRotation._11 + axis.y * matRotation._21 + axis.z * matRotation._31 + matRotation._41; 
   newAxis.y = axis.x * matRotation._12 + axis.y * matRotation._22 + axis.z * matRotation._32 + matRotation._42;
   newAxis.z = axis.x * matRotation._13 + axis.y * matRotation._23 + axis.z * matRotation._33 + matRotation._43;

axis = newAxis;
}

Mine:
D3DXVECTOR3 ITransformable::WorldToObjectAxis(const D3DXVECTOR3 & worldAxis)
{
   // Build a matrix from the 3D object's orientation
   D3DXMATRIX	matRotation;
   D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion(&matRotation, &m_orientation); 

// Transform the axis vector by the matrix.
   D3DXVECTOR4	objectAxis;
   D3DXVec3Transform(&objectAxis, &worldAxis, &matRotation);

return D3DXVECTOR3(objectAxis.x, objectAxis.y, objectAxis.z);
}

Advertisement
Besides that the "original" overwrites the input vector while "yours" does not (but that is obvious), AFAIK the both ways are equivalent (but I'm not a D3D programmer, so you may verify this elsewhere). The "original" handles the input vector "axis" to be a position vector (see the addition of matRotation._4*), and so does D3DXVec3Transform(...) (see documentation).

However, IMHO the usage and the nomenclature is not consistent. If you pick an object/camera orientation you normally get a part of the local-to-global) transformation. But the naming of the function WorldToObjectAxis(..) and its parameter worldAxis as well as its result objectAxis let me think that the transform should be applied as a global-to-local transformation.

After smoking a cigarette or two I think I understand. if I put in 0,1,0 that vector is the object's y axis and I am transforming it into the world. Thanks!

If you want the result of the transformation to be a 3-dimensional vector, you can use D3DXVec3TransformCoord. You can also use D3DXVec3TransformNormal, which will only apply the rotation portion of a matrix to a vector (it doesn't matter in this case, since your matrix only has rotation anyway).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement