Your Solution to Narrative Based Gameplay

Started by
41 comments, last by DASHAZAM 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Wai
The gist of this design focus is to let the player feel the propagation of his action, the momentum of the accumulated actions, such that the player can feel that the story is moving. Toward what end? The player does not know--but that is why he is playing.

I feel that this is why gaming is going to become a powerful force of narrative method one day. Shall we attempt to move that day closer now?

My LMG game would be able to be beaten within, as with your first game idea, would be able to beaten within the first 3 minutes. The typical gamer would simply try to beat the game without using the matches (unless prompted to do so through a tip). They would try and see how many points they could get, getting better with each play through. Hopefully at some point they would become curious enough and see what the other hallucinations the matches create, leading them to ending three.
The more casual gamer would try the game, slowly adapting to the controls and learning they're way as they try to sell the matches in order to help LMG survive. At some point they will see that they can light a match and perhaps try it out-maybe not to extend LMG time to sell matches, but to experiment as most gamers do-and then they would be presented with the happy scene. Having experienced a positive reaction from a their action the casual gamer will do it again and receive an even happier scene. They will continue doing this until they finally reach the inevitable conclusion of ending three.
Advertisement
Also, I think the reaction between group a and group b would differ little. Even if A knew the story well and if B had not, each group would try and beat the game, and may attempt to light a match by doing so.

Though I do think the reactions to the game would be different. Watching how people play the game would probably be just as interesting as playing it.

Group A would probably love to see LMG live and would struggle to beat the game to fight against what they already know is coming. They probably would avoid striking the first match for some time, but give in eventually-just as the original Little Match Girl did.

Group B would be looking at everything from a strategical standpoint, perhaps more interested in accomplishing their original goal instead of bothering with whatever hallucination the matches bring forth. But after beating the game and seeing their score they may become bored with the game and, just for the sake of curiosity, see what the other matches create. At that point they see that the best possible ending was to just give up. They may be frustrated with this idea, but would it be because the game rewarded those who didn't work as hard as they did or would it be because the little match girl was more happy with giving up?
For Group B, you don't want them to be bored before they start striking matches. The reason is that when that happens, they are not emotionally attached to LMG. In the story, LMG lighted the match not because she was bored, but that she was cold.

The following is not exactly the story of LMG, but it is a situation that makes sense. I intent to disect it to identify the concept, so that it can be applied to the actual story of LMG, or any other story.

It would make sense if LMG is selling fireworks while the world around her was all depressed. She runs around cold and hungry in the plaza, trying to sell her fireworks but no one would buy them.

At this point it is necessary to state the choices of actions available to the player:

o The player could talk to strangers. The player cannot directly affect the content of the conversation, but from the content, the player knows that LMG is trying to sell the fireworks, and that the people are all depressed and are caught up worrying about other things.

o The LMG initially only holds the basket of fireworks. When she starts selling, she automatically takes out a rocket. After a conversation, she may put it back. This is used to signal the player that the rockets could be taken out from the basket.

o Alternatively, when the LMG slips and falls, some rockets might fall out. The player could learn this way that the rockets are actual items inside the basket, that could be picked up and put into the basket. If the player has not been talking to anyone, the player would now notice that LMG is carrying a basket full of rockets (and other fireworks).

o When the player do look into the inventory, the player would notice matches.

o Through the player's conversation, the player may conclude that no one would be interested in buying the fireworks. The LMG is cold and hungry, and there is no food anywhere and nowhere to go. The only option left, that had yet to be tried, was to light the fireworks with the matches.

o Note that from the perspective of the player, the player initially imagined that he is suppose to sell the fireworks, not to open them and use them. However, through interaction the player learns that that goal is impossible to achieve. Here, the player is driven to the same interactive situation as the prescribed LMG, which is the moment of realization of hopelessness, with no option left other than lighting up the sky.

o The player would manually light up the first few fireworks. He player would notice, that, since no one was left at the plaza, no one was in the vincinity to see the fireworks. As the LMG shoots the rocket to the sky and watches the firely flakes, the player wonders whether it would attract a crowd, or perhaps attract a buyer from the crowd to save her day.

o However, after lighting a few, the player would see that no one is coming. On the fifth rocket, the ending takes over, where the LMG continues to light all the rockets and just enjoys the firework with her personal happy memories interlacing. The player would hear her monologue as she sees grandma comes to see the fireworks with her. As the same time, the player can see that the LMG is at her limit, because the surrounding started to feel surreal, and the fireworks were being launched as if they were launching themselves. The fact that LMG was dying was also obvious from her dialogue, where she mentioned seeing shooting stars means someone is dying, and that she is leaving with grandma toward the sky.

o The last rocket bursted in the sky. The camera was fixed at the firework. There was no more dialogue. The LMG is not talking anymore. The sparkling flakes are disappearing in the night sky in silence.

o Then the camera zooms out and shows that the depressing couple that LMG talked to, were watching the firework, from a place that LMG could not see. The camera shows their stunned expression. Perhaps because of the random glamour that had lighted to heavy sky; or the resemblance of long forgotted happy moments in the sight of the fiery sparks.

o Also watching was the boy would stole her shoes;

o The bakery owner that chased her away;

o And the landlord and carriage driver who splashed icy water to LMG and made her fall when they were riding across the plaza.

o The camera is back to the plaza sky, where the heavy clouds began to snow, ever so quietly onto the city. The ending music begins and the game scenes are replayed as a summary of events while LMG was at the plaza, with the last scenes showing an altered future for the other characters in a time they have regained happiness in a plaza well-lit by the sunshine of spring.

~ fin ~

Moral:

Everytime someone gets depressed, a Little Match Girl dies lighting up the sky.

I like this! I've come up with another version of your story but I've had so much homework lately I haven't had the time to post it.
Could your game's theme also be stated as: "Sometimes, in order to assure happiness in others, one must sacrifice their own happiness." ?
I wasn't thinking about the theme. I think you are correct. I would say it this way, "If you think that something is good, you should do it even if you will not be rewarded."

In the case of the LMG with Rockets, she was probably thinking that the rockets are meant to be launched, and it would be a waste. Although no one was watching, at least the fireworks did not get wasted in the snow. She wasn't primarily hoping that someone would see it and feel happy, although the structure allows this to be the case and that it could be the overall meaning of the story eventhough LMG did not realize this meaning in the story.

Little Match Girl's Memorable Night of ...:

I was looking at the pictures and I want to highlight one thing about the meaning of story-telling through interaction. In the sequence above, you see a situation where the Little Match Girl simply slipped and missed a chance. The player is controlling the Little Match Girl, and slipping is random. Therefore, this mechanics is letting the player experience "Misfortune" through interaction. Not tell. Not show. Experience.

Now imagine that as the Little Match Girl approach the couple, the couple in fact speeds up to avoid her. Then the interaction is enabling the experience of "Prejudice".

Suppose you started the design with a theme. For each theme, there exists a list of interactions that are required to define the theme. The objective of narration through gameplay, is to enable the player's experience to every part of that definition. The minimal set of dynamics that implements the definition is the minimal, but complete interactive narration of the theme.

I believe that there is a direct translation between the themes and their minimal dynamics, and I think that this list is actually rather small. Therefore it is possible to have a dictionary that lists all minimal sets. For instance, the word "Misfortune" might have this entry in the narrative dynamics directionary:

Misfortune
Requires random events that hinders the progress of an agent.

My hunch is that there is no other way to implement "misfortune" through gameplay. This is the only way, and it can be derived directly from the definition of the word with understanding of gaming relation between the player and the game. For the word "Prejudice":

Prejudice
Requires non-player agents exert hindering forces based on an assumption on the role of the player agent.

This dictionary turns narrative design systematic. "Systematic" as in a situation where a computer program could look up all required dynamics of a given theme, and define the agents and forces for the place holders of the definition. Note that once all the place holder are filled, the list of dynamics represents a complete game. This synthesis process if highly out-of-the-box in that the computer program does not need to select agents that would make sense in daily life. It could select a watermelon with the force to breathe fire. It makes no difference whatsoever to the core meaning of the game. The appearance of the game could complete absurd, but once the player start playing the game, the coherence toward the theme would stand out, because that is the only remaining meaning of the game, and this meaning, what you called the theme, exists by the construction method. The player will experience it through gameplay.

Once this translation task becomes fluent, one can see that interaction is a legitimate origin of narratives, not merely a medium or method to implement a narrative that originated from other media.

It would be as wrong to assume that people who compose an empathetical melody must first draft a literary verse and translate it into music.

From a dissection of theme,
to a dictionary or dynamics,
to an automated creation of interactive narratives.
This could work. Though I don't feel that automated art is no solution. What we should be attempting is a gaming short story. Provide the player with enough content to last them at least 8 hours of play but pack it all into a game that could be completed within 40 minutes. This would be beneficial to the player (casual and hardcore alike) but it would be even more beneficial for developers. Short enough so that it would be inexpensive to make but it would also give writers a chance to play a much more major role in video games. Episodic games would be released like TV shows and because the game wouldn't take long to make they could be sold at $1 to $5 per game. It would be like a virtual vending machine that sells stories. Your idea would also work in this scenario, but a machine that is programmed to simulate human ideas is still just a machine. Art is the intentional organization of elements to create a sense or emotion. Let's try and keep that ability exclusive to the humans, shall we?
The other issue I have is that what happens when themes interfere with the players ability to accomplish their task? I like your trip idea, I've seen it used in games before, and causes the exact effect you would think: frustration, hopelessness, anger. The only problem is that the player doesn't shake his hand at the sky and say "curse the interfering hands of fate! Do even the gods want Little Match Girl to die?". They throw the controller down and say "This game is stupid."
The key for these themes of yours would be to make them unnoticeable. Don't just have LMG trip, have get a sneeze or a passer-by knock her down. Don't let the player see the strings working above the stage.

In response to the "prejudice" theme I've had another thought.
At first when I thought of the people walking quicker to avoid the little match girl I thought-"Why are they walking away?"
Maybe because they all want to avoid the little match girl because she makes them anxious or feel self conscious. But not everyone would do that.
Then I thought "Could the gamer experience prejudice through use of individual characteristics of NPC in game play?"

Let's say that only NPC's wearing yellow clothes would flee from LMG, while NPC's dressed in green would just avoid her, NPC's in blue would walk slower than the others, and purple NPC's would appear very regularly but would seek out LMG to help her. LMG herself would be wearing purple rags.
But none of this is ever stated. It is up to the player to deduce this. The individual clothes of each NPC group would still be different, only their color schemes would relate so that it wouldn't be obvious right away. This way the player would subconsciously come to learn which NPC's would be prejudiced and which were not. Then maybe at some point during the game the player would realize that the NPC's are judging her by her characteristics. The player would then have to adapt and learn which NPC to trust and which to avoid.

Then I had another thought.
"Wouldn't this make the PLAYER prejudiced!?"

I found this to be astounding. Unconsciously I had created an environment in which the player would have to become prejudiced in order to survive being prejudiced against. Simply remarkable.

The solution to this problem would be to have an occasional NPC group member act in extreme contradiction to the other members of the group. Occasionally have a yellow NPC buy several matches from LMG or have a Purple NPC knock LMG down for bothering them.

This, however, is assuming that we WANT the problem to be solved. I think that creating this prejudiced driven environment would be a very revealing commentary on human nature.
Quote:Original post by DASHAZAM
The only problem is that the player doesn't shake his hand at the sky and say "curse the interfering hands of fate! Do even the gods want Little Match Girl to die?". They throw the controller down and say "This game is stupid."

I can satisfactorily cry tears of discontent at the RNG if a mob drops badly. "What a waste! Why me? Curse you, foul neutrino demons!" and so forth. But only if I have a clear sense of what normal, good, and bad are, and can accurately judge what a bad random drop is (-2Z for you math wizards).

But I don't feel that way about installed events. If my side-kick/love-interest/rescue chopper gets killed in a cut scene, I feel mostly impatience. Like "That could have been a cool way for me to fail -- too bad it wasn't."

In Fallout-3, it is possible to lose your sidekick though your own failures. Heavy battle's over, wiping the sweat from my brow, turn around, and she's tits up. Damn. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I knew I shoulda had her wait around the corner. Just got in too much of a hurry. Have to do that next time. This is the scenario where I go to blame the AI instead of myself -- and really, I want the AI to be competent enough so that I am making an excuse.

[Edited by - AngleWyrm on January 30, 2009 3:24:07 PM]
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home
Quote:Original post by AngleWyrm
In Fallout-3, it is possible to lose your sidekick though your own failures. Heavy battle's over, wiping the sweat from my brow, turn around, and she's tits up. Damn. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I knew I shoulda had her wait around the corner. Just got in too much of a hurry. Have to do that next time. This is the scenario where I go to blame the AI instead of myself -- and really, I want the AI to be competent enough so that I am making an excuse.

Yes. Unfortunately sometimes this is the AI's fault. I often fail to connect with my partners on any real level because unless I'm talking to the person it's always very obvious that there is a computer program following me around.
However I must admit that I did form an emotional connection with Dogmeat, the canine partner. Impulsive and strange actions were explainable because, well, he was a dog. So I would feel sad when he died. But it happened so often after a while it didn't really impact me.
In the scope of what I posted, I was no where near suggesting "a machine that is programmed to simulate human ideas". The automation has no natural language processing, there is no knowledge of culture, history, architecture, whatsoever. The system did not choose the theme, nor did it have any idea of the concept of an audience. It was no where near simulating human ideas.

On the other hand I am not against letting computers do all those. You know you understand it when you can make a rock do it for you. I was just trying to see whether I could make a rock do it.

The Little Match Girl trips only when walk across the center after the first hour. It is not completely out of the blue kind of trip. The center ground turned into ice. So there is a visual clue.

The purpose of the visual clue is not to "hide" the randomness, but to show the player that it is random whenever LMG walks on ice. Otherwise the player might mistaken that something was wrong with himself.

I agree that in your sense that gameplay itself could convey meaning, philosophy, and the like.

Little Match Girl Game Music:

Late afternoon to nightfall (Musette)
[01] - Normal Mode - This is the music the game begins with.
[02] - Adrenaline Mode - This is played when Little Match Girl runs to a pedestrian. If the pedestrian buys matches, this music is allowed to finish, otherwise the music is truncated. When this music stops, the normal mode score is repeated.

Evening (Violin)
[03] - Normal Mode - Slower and lower energy. The Little Match Girl, could now see the others gathering in their warm homes, while she is still out on the street. She is cold, hungry, and tired. She had no place to stay for the night if she did not make enough money.
[04] - Adrenaline Mode - Running across the plaza while dodging some late carriages.

Final Moment (Choir)
[05] - Snowfall and a tiny light from the match,
the Little Match Girl attempts to reach one last pedestrian.
Quote:Original post by Wai
In the scope of what I posted, I was no where near suggesting "a machine that is programmed to simulate human ideas". The automation has no natural language processing, there is no knowledge of culture, history, architecture, whatsoever. The system did not choose the theme, nor did it have any idea of the concept of an audience. It was no where near simulating human ideas.

Sorry. I jumped to a conclusion there. The matrix was on last night.

I really like Final Moment. What are you using to make these?

Would you find it best to make this a side scroller or an overhead?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement