Help, non-blocking sockets.

Started by
15 comments, last by kyoryu 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:On a UDP socket a packet could be dropped theoretically between the call to select and the receive function.

No, it could not. The packet has left the network, and is in the realm of the kernel. The guarantees of select() and recv() say that the packet cannot be dropped at that point.

Quote:But...
send on a socket in blocking mode blocks until the *whole* buffer has been consumed. At least on Windows. It might be different on other operating systems.

No, it does not, if select() says that the socket is writable, then a send() on that socket will not block. If that means that only half the buffer is consumed (on a TCP stream), then only half the buffer is consumed (and the amount consumed is returned).

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
Hi, I acually managed it to work with non-blocking and select. I had problem accepting new clients, now my select() function tells me if a client wants to connect.

How about disconnects, should I ping all my clients all the time? Could anyone write down some pseudo code for your solution?

And thanks alot to all of you answering my questions, thank you!

// ixuz
@hplus0603

Ok, you are right for the receive functions (and accept). select gives this guarantee:
Quote:If the socket is currently in the listen state, it will be marked as readable if an incoming connection request has been received such that an accept is guaranteed to complete without blocking. For other sockets, readability means that queued data is available for reading such that a call to recv, WSARecv, WSARecvFrom, or recvfrom is guaranteed not to block.

But you are wrong for the send functions:
Quote:If the socket is not processing a connect call, writability means a send, sendto, or WSASendto are guaranteed to *succeed*. However, they can block on a blocking socket if the len parameter exceeds the amount of outgoing system buffer space available.
That's why send() accepts the DONTWAIT flag, although I don't think WinSock actually implements that :-/
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Trivia:

If you select() a socket for reading, and it returns that there is data available, but reading results in zero bytes read, this means...
...that the remote peer closed the connection.
Well, I figured you'd know the answer, being a moderator :)

It actually also turns out that with poll(), the ONLY sure way that you can tell (cross-platform) if a socket is closed is if it returns 0 bytes on a read, after poll claims it is readable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement