FEAR 2 demo

Started by
21 comments, last by Prinz Eugn 15 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by extralongpants
I really don't like picking up those data log/journal things. All of the sudden, I'm taken out of the game, and have to press Esc twice (!) to get back to the action (is there another way?).

Tab i think

Advertisement
I really liked F.E.A.R., and I just grabbed the demo. It looks like basically more of the same, but more polished and with a better AI. I really need to upgrade my graphics card, though--my 6800 GS gives me smooth frame rates, but everything is set low, and it's at 800x600. I killed a guy, and his body disappeared from the floor in front of me about 8 seconds later.
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the new sniper rifle. I also dig how zooming in on a target requires you to sight down the barrel of whatever gun you're using. I loved the first game, but it bugged me when your vision magically moves forward and your gun position still looks like you're shooting from the hip. This new approach is much more realistic.

And yeah, it's pretty damn scary, too.
_____________________Brian Timmons, ComposerMy Music
Ran through most of the demo. Pretty nice. I did run into a glitch where it autosaved at a point where I fell through the level. After I killed the couple of guys at the beginning I just ran through the level until I encountered the guy that grabs you. All of the sudden I was dead, not having been able to do anything. When I reloaded, I kept falling through the level. [sad]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

It ran pretty slow and clunky on my computer, and I dont really think thats justified given that it was mostly very close quarters, small areas with only 2 or 3 baddies at once.

I found it too easy. I was in a hurry so I didnt bother binding keys for zoom, crouch, throw grenade, medkit, or any of the other fancy stuff. Just run and shoot. And I made it through without even coming close to dying. I played on hard, of course.

Maybe its just me, but I dont find 11-year-old girls scary or creepy. I dont know why so many games and movies use that cliché.

Did anyone else notice that the actual gore in the demo was NOTHING like the gore in preview videos?

I enjoyed FEAR but FEAR 2 doesnt seem to be any more enjoyable to me. Color me not too impressed...
It's a pretty good shooter ruined by annoying ghostly images flashing at you every 30 seconds. The "dream" sequences are especially annoying since you know they can't really hurt you.
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
It's a pretty good shooter ruined by annoying ghostly images flashing at you every 30 seconds. The "dream" sequences are especially annoying since you know they can't really hurt you.

The demo wasn't substantial enough to know if this will be carried on to FEAR 2, but in FEAR some of those dream sequences could kill you. That's part of what made the game so effective for me.
Quote:Original post by BeanDog

The demo wasn't substantial enough to know if this will be carried on to FEAR 2, but in FEAR some of those dream sequences could kill you. That's part of what made the game so effective for me.

I believe it was only the last sequence that could kill you. Every other one is just a break from the action.
I believe it was only the last sequence that could kill you. Every other one is just a break from the action.

In the original FEAR? No, I definitely remember getting into a dream sequence early in the game, and just watching the pretty lights... only to actually get killed. Maybe that was a rare occasion, but it put me on edge the whole rest of the game.
Quote:Original post by dpadam450
Quote:I pretty much started unloading all of my ammo at anything which was remotely suspect.

Yea man, I played it last night with headphones on. I felt like a movie actor in a scene where they just spin and shoot randomly, cuz I would randomly just circle pattern my mouse and bust out like 10 bullets.

Yup. I was there too..

I haven't played the original, but this was very reminiscnet of Half Life for me..

No idea what the hell was going on at the beginning, but it was pretty, spooky and fun!
Much more edgy and scary than Half Life, but in the end it's a run and gun game.

Sniper rifle is nice.
Felt like a dork with the Laser gun and that beam buzzing in-front of me the whole time.

The end of the demo, while fun, kind of ruined the feel. It doesn't really need the Mechs.

I am in two minds, but I lurved the feeling of suspense, and the combat sequences in the cafeteria, once you get the control system, really felt like a shoot out.. Nice.

Feel free to 'rate me down', especially when I prove you wrong, because it will make you feel better for a second....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement