• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to make an exe working without the SDK?

This topic is 3315 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The question is simple: every time i compile using visual studio 2008 express for c++, on my pc the exe works well, when i try to launch it into others machines, i obtain always this error: d3dx9_37.dll not found Try to download from here my little tech demo of my game, it should give you the same error. If you install the sdk, then the game works but it's very annoying. How should i do to make the executable works on a generic directx 9.0c platform? With no sdk. Thanks.

Advertisement
You don't need the SDK to run your program. You do need a recent version of the DirectX runtime. Basically, D3DX gets updated everytime a new version of the SDK comes out, and the DirectX runtimes get updated at the same time. So while your application may only depend on D3D 9.0c, it may require a more recent version of D3DX if you use any D3DX functions.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
You don't need the SDK to run your program. You do need a recent version of the DirectX runtime. Basically, D3DX gets updated everytime a new version of the SDK comes out, and the DirectX runtimes get updated at the same time. So while your application may only depend on D3D 9.0c, it may require a more recent version of D3DX if you use any D3DX functions.

Ok, so if i compile using, i.e. the november 2008 edition of directx, and i want to make a setup.exe that install the game into every pc, i should include also the november edition of directx?

Quote:
Original post by PdG
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane

Ok, so if i compile using, i.e. the november 2008 edition of directx, and i want to make a setup.exe that install the game into every pc, i should include also the november edition of directx?

Yes, but if you make an installer you can't include the end-user runtime that SiCrane linked. That installer can only be directly downloaded by end users. The installer that you should use is in your SDK install directory, in a subfolder called "Redist". There will be a bunch of .CAB files in there....you only need to include the .CAB files for the components you're using and for the version of the SDK you're using.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement