• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[SlimDX] Two things: D3D10 Sprite, and Win7 (build 884)

This topic is 3315 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First question: is an effect (.fx) required to draw using D3D10 Sprite? I recall reading something about D3D10 more or less doing away with the fixed pipeline altogether and focusing on shaders, which I interpret to mean you need a shader to render absolutely anything. I was also under the impression that the sprite batch is a shader of sorts, or at least it is for XNA, so I assume this applies to DX. Obviously I could be wrong. Bottom line: do I need to supply an effect to render a sprite? The reason I ask is because my sprites aren't being drawn. If the answer is "no," I'll post some code and dig for details. Second question: is the Windows 7 SDK beta required to compile the Windows7 project? I saw at lest one reference to a header I didn't recognize, so I'm going to assume "yes" on that as well, which is why I'm presently downloading the SDK, but I figured it would be good to have this info out in the open for anyone else who wants to compile the latest build, because the Wiki says nothing about such requirements.

Advertisement
You are correct in thinking that D3D10 requires a shader for all rendering. The SpriteBatch, however, manages its own shaders internally, which is why it's a convenient interface for drawing simple sprites. If your sprites aren't showing up, it's due to some other error.

As far as the Windows7 project, yes the Windows 7 SDK beta is required for compilation. In addition, if you want to run the Direct2D or DirectWrite samples, you'll need the d2d and dwrite DLLs. As of now, the only official way to get them is via a Windows7 installation, but I pulled a copy out and have been able to run them without issue on a Vista installation as well. If you don't feel like installing Windows7 just for those two DLLs, email me and I'll send you a copy.

If you need help getting the Windows7 project built after the SDK has been installed, let me know. Getting the include and library paths configured properly took me a bit of monkeying around, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't initially work for you. Finally, if you happen to do a full rebuild of the SlimDX solution, you'll notice that build errors pop-up. You can easily fix them by doing another (quick) build. This is a side-effect of SlimDX.dll and SlimDX.Windows7.dll being friend assemblies; you can read more about that in my journal.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I do in fact have Windows 7 beta installed (under VPC). I even went to the trouble of installing VS2008 and the beta SDK so I could compile under Windows 7. It hadn't occurred to me to simply copy the DLL's. I'll do that today and give it another go. Thanks for the offer, though. Will post again soon with some D3D10 sprite questions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement