Why is PhysX so Slow?!

Started by
38 comments, last by CodaKiller 15 years, 2 months ago
I made a ragdoll with 75 bones using D6 joints and I get about 1 frame per second, I also disabled collision between all the bones. Does it normally run this slow with rag dolls and if so how do they make games with fully rigged characters?
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
Advertisement
The NVidia forums for PhysX is located at http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php.
Quote:Original post by frob
The NVidia forums for PhysX is located at http://developer.nvidia.com/forums/index.php.

Already posted there to.
Unholy Savagery

Quote:...You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:
cross-post to too many different newsgroups

I suspect nobody will supply an answer to your question here now that you have confirmed you have posted to the correct forum.
Quote:Original post by dmail
Unholy Savagery

Quote:...You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:
cross-post to too many different newsgroups

I suspect nobody will supply an answer to your question here now that you have confirmed you have posted to the correct forum.

Most post on the Nvidia forum go unanswered for days and days, this forum is one of the few active forums for programmers on the web. Also I really don't see why someone would not reply to this post if they know the answer.
I haven't used PhysX, but is 75 bones a reasonable number of bones for a single character? Maybe it is just me, but it seems a tad high. Also, is this running a debug or release build?
Quote:Original post by CodaKiller
I made a ragdoll with 75 bones using D6 joints and I get about 1 frame per second, I also disabled collision between all the bones. Does it normally run this slow with rag dolls and if so how do they make games with fully rigged characters?

Let's see some profiler output.
Is this hardware accelerated?

No, that would not be very nice. The only time I see that happening is when the people here are not knowledgeable enough to answer this.

Quote:Original post by the_edd
Let's see some profiler output.

Ditto. Ever heard the phrase 10% of your code takes 90% of the time? Sometimes it's surprising which ten percent. (And the guy at the other forum said it wasn't a PhysX problem anyway. Please don't be quick to blame external libraries for performance unless you have proof.)
Quote:Original post by Splinter of Chaos

No, that would not be very nice. The only time I see that happening is when the people here are not knowledgeable enough to answer this.

The reason I said this is that many times people will not post in threads were their is cross posting as when there are multiple conversation on the subject one generally gets the most attention leaving the other in a stagnant state. As the other post in the in SDK's forums I would have suspected that was the thread that would get the attention. It had nothing to do with being nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement