• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lanette

Comparing web programming language

This topic is 3583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, im new to web programming, although im still learning C++.. Well, after a web search, i figured out there were a few of languages for web designing and development.. Such as: Perl, PHP, javascript, ActionScript, ASP, Ajax, HTML, XML, and many more.. So which one is more user-friendly? Or i should just learn flash with adobe software to develop website? Thanks for replying..

Advertisement
Quote:
Well, after a web search, i figured out there were a few of languages for web designing and development..

Such as: Perl, PHP, javascript, ActionScript, ASP, Ajax, HTML, XML, and many more..

So which one is more user-friendly?
So while you've managed to discover a list of terms, you haven't done enough research to understand what each actually is. Programming isn't like using a machine around the house. You don't deal with the concept of user friendliness. HTML is a markup language. You might find it really easy to use, but you can't program with it. You need a programming language for that. ASP.NET is a framework. It's not a language itself. So it's not like you assemble a list and pick one. They all have different roles. You need to recognize that.

If you're going to develop websites, start with HTML and CSS.

To develop a website, you'll need an array of languages:

You'll need HTML(it's not really a language, but you'll still need it) to do the basic layout and formatting. That's the first thing you should learn.

You'll need javascript, mostly for validating forms, though you can do some cool stuff with it.

You'll need a server-side language(I suggest PHP, but there are alternatives, like ASP or JSP) to manage data on the server - like the user base or updateable news system.

Those are the basics. You'll need all 3, because each one has a different use. Also, there are other languages you can use to enhance you website:

You can use Java, Flash or SilverLight to create applets inside your web pages. Those applets can function as small games or mini-programs, or even replace the entire interface.

You can use Ajax for server-client communication. You'll know what that means once you advance more in web development.

Quote:
Original post by lanette
Such as: Perl, PHP, javascript, ActionScript, ASP, Ajax, HTML, XML, and many more..

Ajax is not a language. It's the name of a technique for dynamically updating a page's content without requiring a refresh.

Quote:
Original post by lanette
Or i should just learn flash with adobe software to develop website?

Flash is a good platform for media rich web applications. If this is not what you are making, then Flash is probably not what you want.

The world of web development is vast. It will take time to become competent at it, just as it takes time to become competent at game development. It's usually rare for a web application to be written in just one language, but with frameworks like Ruby on Rails that's becoming easier.

I could give you more specific suggestions as to what technologies to use if you provided more information about what sort of website you want to make.

Finally, you may like to just use a content-management system such as Drupal. I've used it and had no problems. It's module-based, and the community has developed modules for just about everything. If you want a blog, you may consider WordPress. It's a CMS like Drupal but is specifically geared towards blog management.

Good luck. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!