• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ahlywog

Sky box questions.

This topic is 3495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, Just a few quick questions on sky boxes. I gather from my limited coding knowledge and years of gaming experience that it is a shape, be it a box or a sphere, surrounding your scene with a given texture painted to the inside of it. Is that correct? Are there any special tips or tricks to doing this properly? thx

Advertisement
It's correct.
It's either a box using cube mapping (a quick search on google will return you endless resources) or a classically-textured hemisphere (no need for a full sphere usually).

Skybox textures which fit nicely a hemisphere are abundant over the internet, too. For a decent sky, though, prepare to render the skybox with some separate texture layers (say, one for the sky colour/gradient, and some for the moving clouds)

You will find this interesting: http://sidvind.com/wiki/Skybox_tutorial

Well, even though sky boxes sound simple, which they are. Theres always some things you should remember. Skybox's should always been drawn last I believe since drawing order is usually from front to back, the last thing you want is transparency problems, and turn off the depth buffer on the skybox, or that is one thing you can do.

Also remember, a skybox is supposed to be infinitely away. You don't want you character walking up a hill and almost being able to touch the skybox. One thing you can do to prevent this is just move the skybox with your character or camera. That way u can never reach it. Or you can simply just make a giant sphere/box.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!