• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
isenthalpic53

OpenGL NURBs to vertex

This topic is 3556 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

At some level OpenGL (well, glu) turns your control points/knots into vertex data before rendering. Is there a way to get access to these vertices? I have a hull form of a containership, describe by splines (4th order I think), and I'm trying to take this data and turn it into flat panels (for which I need the vertex data). Thanks for reading.

Advertisement
The gluNurbs source code is available in the mesa libs, which is your best bet. A better bet is to ignore gluNURBS completely (because it is a pile of crap if truth be told), and write your own Nurbs tesselator. The latter solution is always a 100 or so times faster, and a 100 or so times easier to maintain in the future.....

Quote:
Original post by RobTheBloke
The gluNurbs source code is available in the mesa libs, which is your best bet. A better bet is to ignore gluNURBS completely (because it is a pile of crap if truth be told), and write your own Nurbs tesselator. The latter solution is always a 100 or so times faster, and a 100 or so times easier to maintain in the future.....
QFT. My advice is not to touch anything in glu with a barge pole.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!