Where do you download it?

Started by
12 comments, last by MeritGamer 15 years, 2 months ago
I'm quite confused at how hard it is to find a download site for OpenGl Windows. Can anyone point me in some direction? If you need specs I am running: Windows 7 Nvidia 8800GT 2G DDR 2 mem 2.8 dual core proc.
Advertisement
Nowhere. The GL implementation comes with your video card drivers, and headers usually comes with your compiler.
Quote:Original post by HuntsMan
Nowhere. The GL implementation comes with your video card drivers, and headers usually comes with your compiler.

Ah ok, thanks. But now I am confused. I found a list of instructions and starting tuts. But I have no idea where my system include is.

glut.h - This is the file you'll have to include in your source code. The common place to put this file is in the gl folder which should be inside the include folder of your system.
glut.lib (SGI version for Windows) and glut32.lib (Microsoft's version) - This file must be linked to your application so make sure to put it your lib folder.
glut32.dll (Windows) and glut.dll (SGI version for Windows) - choose one according to the OpenGL you're using. If using Microsoft's version then you must choose glut32.dll. You should place the dll file in your system folder.
Nevermind, I just installed codeblocks, I had a haunch it would have an opengl option already there.
Ok, scratch all of that. My glut.h is not found. Where is it so I can link it (windows).
GLUT isn't part of OpenGL, it's a toolkit that allows you to easiely create an OpenGL window/handle os dependant stuff. You can get it here GLUT.
Ah ok, thanks guys. Im still really used to Dev, so where do I put the lib and .h? .dll just goese where the .exe of the project is right?
edit: The header files should go to "C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\include", the libs go to "C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\lib".
Quote:Original post by beun
Quote:Original post by MeritGamer
Ok, scratch all of that. My glut.h is not found. Where is it so I can link it (windows).

GLUT is an old, outdated library that's only rarely used nowadays. It isn't included in MSVC (9.0) and neither in MinGW. If you really want it, you can download it here</a.>

Is there a better library to get? The only tutorials I have found use GLUT.
Quote:Original post by beun

GLUT is an old, outdated library that's only rarely used nowadays. It isn't included in MSVC (9.0) and neither in MinGW. If you really want it, you can download it here

Is there a better library to get? The only tutorials I have found use GLUT.
I think the most popular ones are SDL and SFML.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement