• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

d3dx 9, 10

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I notice that the d3dx library in directx 10 has been drastically reduced down, is there any reason for this? i was looking for something like D3DXComputeTangentFrameEx in dx10 d3dx library, but noticed its not there.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by maya18222
I notice that the d3dx library in directx 10 has been drastically reduced down, is there any reason for this?
Yeah, I noted this from the early days of the closed-CTP's. It's a shame given that D3DX9 was quite a good quality library. My understanding from talking to some of the MS developers is that it was a case of prioritisation - lots of companies have their own D3DX-like middleware/libraries so don't really use the ones that Microsoft provides. This makes sense if you're targetting Sony/Nintendo/MS consoles as you'd find it hard to use D3DX on a PS3! Without anyone pressuring MS into developing D3DX10 it simply got downgraded compared with the core runtime work...

The mesh routines were all quite tightly coupled to the ID3DXMesh and the .X files, which has been a bit neglected for a while. The .X format has stood the test of time well, and there had been on/off talks about ".x v2" or some-such but it seems that D3DX10 took the chance to kill it... [sad]

I posted in this thread how you can do interop between D3DX9 and D3DX10 meshes, so you can still get access to the routine you want but it is a bit cumbersome.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement