• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Catkill

Code::Blocks

This topic is 3408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What do you guys (and girls) think of the Code::Blocks IDE, im thinkign its quite good but soemtimes it does weird stuff when im trying to compile, or maybe its visual studio that does the weird thing and this is normal what do you think - keep using it or go back to visual studio? Cheers Catkill

Advertisement
If you don't need and don't care about making your program/libraries more easily portable to linux and other platforms then there is no reason to use Code::Blocks.

I use it and really like it for exactly that reason. I can work in the exact same development enviroment regardeless of the OS I'm using.

What weird things do you mean specifically? It is certainly very well featured, though it ships with a slightly outdated compiler (which is easily fixed).

For Windows development though, you can't really beat Visual Studio.

If you have easy access to a recent version of Visual Studio or Visual C++, even the free Express Edition, there's little reason to use Code::blocks as an IDE. Visual Studio is pretty much inarguably the better tool for writing code, and the debugging features really beat anything else, hands-down. Visual Studio (though I'm not sure of the express versions) can be targetted to compile using other compilers and toolchains, just like Code::blocks, with a little work.

The few true advantages that Code::blocks may claim are:
1 - You can use the same IDE on Linux and Windows.
2 - Out-of-the-box support for GNU, Borland, and Microsoft compilers.
3 - It's lighter-weight than Visual Studio (read: fewer features), which may be a boon on a lower-speced workstation.

For what it's worth, though, Code::blocks is really among the best integrated IDEs that are freely available, cross-platform and open. I've never been able to come to like Eclipse, and most "linux IDEs" I've road-tested are shit. Code::blocks isn't a bad choice, there's just very little reason to use it over Visual Studio.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!