• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jason Z

Laptop Drivers Straight From Nvidia!

This topic is 3557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was overjoyed when I saw the newsletter from nvidia today - they are directly releasing notebook drivers for many of their 8 and 9 series cards. However, when I went to the download page for vista 32-bit, the link is broken... Has anyone been able to obtain these drivers? Any luck using them? It would help me tremendously to get good Vista drivers that support PhysX and Cuda, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Ahhh, Dell updated their download with the most recent driver and it seems to be working well. I'll have to try out the physX and Cuda support, but there shouldn't be any problems.

FYI: You don't need to wait for the dell driver - the standard NVidia one works 100% fine. I've got the XPS1530 and have been happilly updating for a while now. To install, download NVidia's driver, extract the ZIP, but do not run the nvidia installer. Goto your display driver settings and click the update driver / manual install button. Do a manual search for the driver ini file, and it'll install fine.

Quote:
Original post by RobTheBloke
FYI: You don't need to wait for the dell driver - the standard NVidia one works 100% fine. I've got the XPS1530 and have been happilly updating for a while now.

Out of curiosity, what driver have you been using then? I had some issues a while back with our Vostro 1700's, which like the XPS1530 have a 8600M GT card (as I recall), which I couldn't find drivers for at the NVidia site. I did use the 8600GT desktop driver for a while, which did give better performance, but had some stability issues. Eventually Dell actually told me to use their XPS1530 drivers, which were updated more regularly, and politely implied I should stop pestering them [smile]

Quote:
Original post by remigius
Out of curiosity, what driver have you been using then?

I put Vista64 on the PC which dell doesn't support on the 1530, and nvidia didn't have a compatbile driver download at the time - hence I had to find a way to get the card working without an available laptop driver.

I ended up downloading and manually installing the standard desktop driver for the GF8600GT, and it worked perfectly on my laptop - PhysX/Cuda/GL3 and all.... It's the manual install part of it that's the important bit - the nvidia installer just exits. IIRC, the vostro has the 8600M GS, not 8600M GT ....

\edit

Just checked, the vostro does indeed have the 8600M GS. I guess I've just been lucky maybe?

Thanks for the info Rob. For future reference, the 1700 seems to come in GS and GT flavors (at least, mine has a GT) and I did get the 8600GT desktop driver to work. It performed better (about 20%-25% FPS increase over the Dell driver), but occasionally it'd go belly-up on me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!