How do you use your 3D Models in 2D Engines?

Started by
3 comments, last by zer0wolf 15 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone. I had a quick question about using 3D Models in 2D Engines. I'm not referring to loading these model files but creating a toon for example and rendering it for a 2D Engine by saving picture files. How would I go about doing this in 3DS Max? I had a friend who I knew a few years back who did a lot of 3D modeling professionally and he had pictures for his models for his 2D games for the front, back, walking, ect... I'm not sure how he did this other then saving the rendered picture and editing it.
Advertisement
I dont understand your question at all. It sounds like you just want to make 3d stuff, and render it from different positions.... what else can you do other than make 2D renders over time?

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

I think I know what you mean, but correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you want to use your 3D models as isometric images? If that is the case, you can render your 3D models at the angles need, save them as pictures and then use as isometric pictures like Diablo.
There is actuality a program that will take 3d models and make them into 2d sprites ( isometric, platform, top-down, etc... ). I wanted to get it, but I had to buy it and I'm a "freebie only" kind of guy. ^^

Go into Google and type "3d to 2d sprites" or something along the lines. You should find it easily.
Holy crap, you can read!
There are programs designed for building sprite sheets, but it isn't that hard to do yourself. In MAX just create the animation, lock the root translation to zero, position your camera from the angle you want, and then render out as TGAs.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement