• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
M4573R

Trying to create console with AllocConsole()

This topic is 3409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating a console window with AllocConsole(), and MSDN says it sets up the standard handles; but when I use printf or cout nothing is printed. Whats the deal? Thanks

Advertisement
Awesome! Thanks for the reply so early in the morning. Now I have to put this is a new thread don't I... :(

Quote:
Original post by M4573R
Awesome! Thanks for the reply so early in the morning. Now I have to put this is a new thread don't I... :(

Nope, all you do is call the code from any thread you want, that's it. It is very easy to use and requires no extra work!

For some reason my link got messed up, this post was the one I was trying to link to. Weird, GD is messing up my links, either way it is mfawcett's reply that I was pointing to.

But if I don't want my game to freeze while accepting input, it needs to be in its own thread. Right?

Handling input doesn't inherently require a new thread. In particular, using window messages for input works in the same thread as the message loop.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!