• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

XNA Model

This topic is 3318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! I have created a couple of classes which create 3d primtives, such as a sphere, box etc.. Now im in the process of making a really simple scene graph, however my original idea, was that I would create a ModelNode which would contain a reference to either a XNA model or my own custom model.. However, since you can't derive or modify an XNA model(at least I haven't found a way to do it), I can't just simply put a single reference to a XNA model. Instead I would either have to create 2 scene nodes, one for a XNA model and one for my own type of model or I would have to keep 2 references in my scene node.. And I guess the last option would be to store an Object reference and a type member, and cast the model to the right one and then draw it... Err.. I guess I can't be the only one who have faced this problem, so any ideas? I suck at explaining things, so here's some code to clear my dilemma:
class MyModel;

class Sphere : MyModel;
class Box : MyModel;

// either this:
class XNAModelNode : SceneNode {
  Model model;

void Draw() {
    // draw the model
  }
}

class MyModelNode : SceneNode {
  MyModel model;

void Draw() {
    // draw the model
  }
}

// or this:
class ModelNode : SceneNode {
  Model xnaModel;
  MyModel myModel;

void Draw() {
    // okay, this is just plain stupid i know
    if(xnaModel == null) // draw my model
    else  // draw xna model
  }
}

// or this:
class ModelNode : SceneNode {
  Object model;
  ModelType type;

void Draw() {
    if(type == ModelType.MyModel) {
      // cast the model member and draw
    } else if(type == ModelType.XnaModel) {
      // cast the model member and draw
    }
 }
}

Now that I look at it, I guess the last option looks best, even though I don't like having an Object reference, since that would allow me to put basically anything in there... Anyways, suggestions?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement