Morphing images

Started by
3 comments, last by sunandshadow 15 years, 2 months ago
Check out
">this youtube video—this will be faster than reading an explanation of what kind of art style I want to discuss. Have there been efforts to develop games with this kind of graphical effects? Are there known file formats that would support this kind of endless modification?
Advertisement
That's just stop motion photography of someone drawing on a marker board and touching the drawing with their hand, it isn't really any different than traditional 2D animation. In all 2D animation it's standard for some part of the image to remain the same and some part to change from one frame to the next.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

What I find unusual in the video is that the objects don't merely move (as happens in traditional 2d animation or in video games), they actually transform into other things, split and merge. I have never seen this kind of effect in any video game.
Never heard of morph targets?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
What I find unusual in the video is that the objects don't merely move (as happens in traditional 2d animation or in video games), they actually transform into other things, split and merge. I have never seen this kind of effect in any video game.

It is unusual, but it is unrelated to file formats.

Stylistically, I can't say I've seen a game that does anything particularly similar, but here is another stop motion movie that does basically the same thing, this one is spray paint on a wall.
">MUTO youtube video

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement