• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chrisx16x2008

Gamedev.net is it outdated?

This topic is 3489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

No one jump on me for saying something like this, but im new to game development. Well i'm at least new to gamedev.net. Although i was wondering if anyone thinks Gamedev.net is outdated. I'm saying this because i have read some articles and at the bottom is says posted something/something/1999??

Advertisement
if you're talking about certain algorithms, yes, some can be a little outdated. But the majority is and always be current and correct.

Be welcome, chrisx16x2008.

To answer your question from my point of view: Perhaps there are more up-to-date article collections out there, but GDnet has an extensive, lively, and IMHO great community. That was the main reason I've joined at that time, and it hasn't changed in the meanwhile.

Quote:
Original post by haegarr
Be welcome, chrisx16x2008.

To answer your question from my point of view: Perhaps there are more up-to-date article collections out there, but GDnet has an extensive, lively, and IMHO great community. That was the main reason I've joined at that time, and it hasn't changed in the meanwhile.

Seconded; the forum is the most valuable part of the site. I'm not sure if there's a general-purpose programming community out there that's more active (although Stack Overflow looks promising).

To be honest, I never really checked out a lot of articles here. It's mostly the forums that do it for me. Though, I should mention that recently, they also added a wiki to gamedev.net. Might be worth checking out - at least it's more up-to-date than the articles. ;)

Some of the articles in the site archives are very old; in some cases this doesn't matter because the algorithms discussed are the same ones in use now, while others are about obsolete technologies. Some of those which use an obsolete technology can still be useful for those capable of taking the core technique and implementing it with a newer technology.

So, yes and no. We do also have an excellent active community and the already mentioned new wiki, as well as the Developer Journals which sometimes contain some valuable information.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!