• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mickeyren

explain stronghold walls and massive number of units

This topic is 3429 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Especially right Stronghold Extreme is in production they would have 10,000 units in one battle scene. I was wondering do they paged/batch this? They are probably not animated sprite billboards as you can look at them at all angles? Or perhaps instancing? Seems all their units have their own animation and own AI, each unit are just unique. Also, how about their walls? It seems their walls they just do simple break and replace. When a catapult stone or a bad wall have been damaged, they replace it with another wall, and another wall until a wall that is only 1 feet high is all that is remain? Thanks for your ideas.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by mickeyren
They are probably not animated sprite billboards as you can look at them at all angles?

I've not seen the game, but you can regenerate billboards when the viewing angle changes. Or pregenerate a load of angles beforehand.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!