tangent and binormal

Started by
5 comments, last by giugio 15 years, 1 month ago
hy. what they are tangent and binormal? In kind of use are? Thanks.
Advertisement
Moved to For Beginners.
If I remember correctly, the tangent is the derivative of position, the normal vector is the derivative of the tangent, and the binormal is the cross product of the two.

Just check wikipedia next time.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
but in computer graphics at what they are?
Well, i read a bit in google , but what is a real application of the normal , binormal and tangent in computer graphics?
From That i read are utilized in complex rendering also in real time?
with shaders that build the light component?
Quote:Original post by giugio
Well, i read a bit in google , but what is a real application of the normal , binormal and tangent in computer graphics?
From That i read are utilized in complex rendering also in real time?
with shaders that build the light component?
Vertex normals are required to perform lighting calculations (i.e. to render lighting). You can increase the render quality by using a normal map, which is a high resolution texture containing extra normals, which is mapped across a model. These normal maps are in tangent space, so you must be able to convert between tangent and model space at each vertex. This conversion requires a tangent basis, a 3-dimensional matrix defined by the normal, tangent and bitangent vectors at each vertex.

Note that bitangent is the correct term here, as we are talking about surfaces, while binormals only exist for curves.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thanks.
and how i can generate a this hight resolution normal map?
with blender or 3ds?
Have you a link for more detailed explanation?
By.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement