Which Linux distrubution?

Started by
25 comments, last by demonkoryu 15 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys, I want to install linux on my pc but i havent decided which distro to install. Which one do you recommend fedora or ubuntu? Thanks
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us,universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."A. Einstein
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Great_White
I want to install linux on my pc but i havent decided which distro to install. Which one do you recommend fedora or ubuntu?
I am not aware of a compelling reason to choose one over the other. These days I mostly use Ubuntu for ease of setup.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

ubuntu is much easier for newcomers. Unfortunately it's a little on the bloated side, but still it's a decent place to start.
Ubuntu is definitely a lot easier to get up and usable than fedora. I find the community and available distro specific documentation to be much more newbie friendly for Ubuntu as well.
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
I have my pc set up to dual boot xp and linux and I use ubuntu 8.04, if it weren't for games i don't even think I would boot to xp anymore. Ubuntu is a snap to install even for a dual boot setup. I tried a few other flavors of linux (red hat 8, fedora) and this is way better.

edit:
forgot to add that I first installed ubuntu 8.10 and I cold not get my video card (GeForce3 6100) to work correctly. I finally gave up and installed ubuntu 8.04 and didnt have any issues with video. 8.10 is pretty new so if you do go with ubuntu you may want to consider installing version 8.04

[Edited by - quadcam on January 26, 2009 8:05:13 PM]
you can install Ubuntu 8.10 directly from windows. You just insert the cd and it will autorun.

Select the "install from windows" option, and that's all. Next thing you know is that you're using linux.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
you can install Ubuntu 8.10 directly from windows. You just insert the cd and it will autorun.

IMHO, VirtualBox. Then try out all the distributions you want.

omg.....compizzzzzZzzzzzzz........ so cooooool....
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I suggest ubuntu. I was developing my portable 3D game/graphics/simulation engine on fedora8 before fedora9 and beyond came out, but never could get the newer fedora releases to work... just endless, endless troubles.

Then I switched to ubuntu out of desperation, and have been able to cope with ubuntu ever since. It seems the linux torch has passed from fedora to ubuntu, in my mind, and the mind of many others it seems. And in case it matters, this being a game/graphics forum, my application that requires OpenGL v2.10 ~ OpenGL v3.00 and GLSL v1.20 ~ GLSL v1.30 compiles and executes on both the eclipse IDE and CodeBlocks IDE (though I just ditched eclipse, since CodeBlocks is better).
Quote:Original post by bootstrap
I suggest ubuntu. I was developing my portable 3D game/graphics/simulation engine on fedora8 before fedora9 and beyond came out, but never could get the newer fedora releases to work... just endless, endless troubles.

Then I switched to ubuntu out of desperation, and have been able to cope with ubuntu ever since. It seems the linux torch has passed from fedora to ubuntu, in my mind, and the mind of many others it seems. And in case it matters, this being a game/graphics forum, my application that requires OpenGL v2.10 ~ OpenGL v3.00 and GLSL v1.20 ~ GLSL v1.30 compiles and executes on both the eclipse IDE and CodeBlocks IDE (though I just ditched eclipse, since CodeBlocks is better).

ok gonna try ubuntu first
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us,universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."A. Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement