Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldRod

BSP Question

I made a small building in Q3Radiant and left a cut-out area for a doorway. Of course the level would not compile in Q3 due to not being closed. So, I searched here and saw an older post that said to enclose the object in a box, hollow it, and set it to be a sky shader (so the BSP object would be encapsulated in a skybox). I did that and the object compiles and works in Q3 now. Next I ran Q3convert and made a .pbs file. But when I load the object in Landscape studio, the skybox is still present but has been given some form of default brick texture. Of course, my building I made is inside this brick box, but how do I get rid of the box so I can see it in my landscape?

Find the sky texture in the shader files (/scripts/sky.shader?). Uncomment the surfaceparm sky line and convert it again.

Any surface with that sky flag will not be drawn in PR. Also if any sky surface is visible the engine knows you can see the outside world and will draw the terrain.

Ok, I finally had a chance to try that. No change.

All I did was make a 4-walled room (including floor/ceiling) with a doorway cut out of one wall. Then I surrounded this "building" with a hollowed out cube and assigned the skies/skybox texture to that.

Then I edited the sky.shader file as you suggested and recompiled the level. It didn't make any difference. The building is still surrounded by a 6-sided stone-textured cube (where the skybox should be) when I load the .PBS into Landscape Studio.

One thing that's maybe related. When I run the q3converter, I get a window that pops up and shows framerate, leaf count, etc. From the documentation I thought I could see my level in there and move around in it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see anything in the window other than the framecounter and a couple other stats.

*edit* Oh, one other thing. There are no textures in the \leveltex file after I run q3convert. Should there be?

Edited by - OldRod on July 1, 2001 5:38:02 PM

Well, this is strange. I just got it to work, but I''m not sure why it works.

I had previously put the files under my quake3 installation, so I wouldn''t have to make copies of all the textures, etc.

But as a trial, I made a clean directory away from my quake3 directory.

Into this directory I put the .bsp file, q3convert, my \scripts\sky.shader file and \textures\xxxxx.jpg

Re-ran q3convert and this time it worked, but the texture in my q3 map are in \textures\gothic_wall

In my new directory they are only at \textures, however, this is only the wall texture on the room I''m making, not the sky textures.

Don''t know what the difference is, but it worked

Now, next question. How do I scale my object in Landscape Studio? I selected it, right-clicked and selected properties, but all I see are orientation, not size, settings.