• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

When to know that I'm ready in OpenGL programming?

This topic is 3312 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When to know that I'm ready in 3D OpenGL? Should I really need to learn everything in 2D first before going there? Because I noticed that most of the people said in some forums that you should go 2d first before going to 3D.

Advertisement
When you understand the basics of linear algebra (i.e. matrices, their properties, and the mathematics surrounding them).

Honestly, I don't want to be stuck in 2D forever. I've been coding using some 2D API and game engines for almost a year now but not everyday/every week because of high school.

Ok I'm looking for my father's linear algebra book. So learning this will make me ready for it?

Well, matrices play a rather large role in 3D graphics. Having a firm grasp on the theory surrounding them would be a good idea.

That said, I certainly ventured into 3D land without having touched linear algebra. I didn't really understand the code I was writing, but I made a simple terrain engine. Can't say I really 'learned' very much from the exercise, however -- mainly because I didn't understand why the code I was writing was having the effects it was having.

Quote:
Original post by mark25
When to know that I'm ready in 3D OpenGL? Should I really need to learn everything in 2D first before going there? Because I noticed that most of the people said in some forums that you should go 2d first before going to 3D.

The reason people encourage you to make 2D games first is because you need to learn to make games first, without the added challenge of figuring out 3D math. 2D spaces are intimately familiar to use - computer and television screens, pieces of paper - and simpler to understand.

If you can make 2D games successfully, then you're ready for 3D. Don't worry if you don't know the math yet; you'll learn.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
The reason people encourage you to make 2D games first is because you need to learn to make games first, without the added challenge of figuring out 3D math. 2D spaces are intimately familiar to use - computer and television screens, pieces of paper - and simpler to understand.

If you can make 2D games successfully, then you're ready for 3D. Don't worry if you don't know the math yet; you'll learn.

Ok I'll go and teach myself how to program in 3D. Do you have any beginner's book to recommend to me?

Quote:
Original post by mark25
Ok I'll go and teach myself how to program in 3D. Do you have any beginner's book to recommend to me?

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, by two of the founders of this site, Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins, is a pretty good intro book. Even if you ultimately decide to go with Direct3D, a lot of the concepts translate well.

Agreed on the above. I have that book (used it in a c++ class in my program), as well as more opengl. I still have yet to read more opengl, but i wanna focus on text-based games still lol.

Ok I have that book right now. I'm in Chapter 2 and this is book is quite impressive.

Crap there are too many functions in OpenGL. I need to memorize all of this.

By the way, do you think using OpenGL with SDL is recommended for a beginner?

Quote:
Original post by mark25
Ok I have that book right now. I'm in Chapter 2 and this is book is quite impressive.

You don't need to remember all the commands, all you need to do is copy and paste. Also I see no reason to ever learn SDL if your going to make 3D games.

There is no reason to not jump right in to 3D game programming, you really don't need math skills, I'm not very good with math and I already have made quite a few 3D games.

I'm now working on a very advance 3D game engine, up until now I really have not needed very good math skills but there are things I get stuck on that require math, I eventually figure them out though.

Quote:
Original post by CodaKiller
You don't need to remember all the commands, all you need to do is copy and paste. Also I see no reason to ever learn SDL if your going to make 3D games.

The reason I'm going to use SDL is because OpenGL is just a 3D API so to make my life easier and run my games in most platform and use some of its features. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just a beginner.

Quote:
There is no reason to not jump right in to 3D game programming, you really don't need math skills, I'm not very good with math and I already have made quite a few 3D games.

Yeah. I'm not that good too in math. I'm trying to study linear algebra but I don't get it. Others said that Calculus 2 is the pre-requisite for that.

Quote:
I'm now working on a very advance 3D game engine, up until now I really have not needed very good math skills but there are things I get stuck on that require math, I eventually figure them out though.

What 3D game engine are you using? I'll add it on my check list. Yeah, I hope I can make great games without being a God in Math.

Quote:
Original post by mark25

We all use reference texts. When you need to find a piece of information you can't remember, you look it up. Over time, as you use some pieces of information (functions, libraries, etc) frequently, you'll automatically memorize them.

Quote:

Yes, OpenGL with SDL is a good combination. SDL does a good job of abstracting the native system resources and creating a render context for OpenGL.

Quote:
Original post by mark25
Yeah. I'm not that good too in math. I'm trying to study linear algebra but I don't get it. Others said that Calculus 2 is the pre-requisite for that.

Some people just aren't very good with Math and it takes them longer to learn. You'll figure it out eventually. You say you're still in high school, so have you even taken a high school algebra course yet?
That's probably your best option since you'll be able to use the teacher to help you through some things you might otherwise have trouble with on your own. Calculus isn't a requirement at all for what you'll need, although I do suggest you take a class in it.

Quote:
Original post by mark25
...I hope I can make great games without being a God in Math.

You don't need to be a god. You only need a working knowledge of it (obviously it doesn't HURT to know a lot). Just start making a simple game and go from there. I didn't really start to "get" algebra until my final year of high school when I finally started to understand some of the practical applications for video games. I didn't start to actually like math until university.

From the sounds of things you're already way further ahead than I was in high school, so just give it a shot, and if you have trouble just take it slow and go at your own pace.

Quote:
Original post by mark25
What 3D game engine are you using? I'll add it on my check list. Yeah, I hope I can make great games without being a God in Math.

Programming allows you to make games. Making great games, however, requires much more. You need to be a good game designer. That has nothing to do with programming. I recommend you read all the articles at
www.sirlin.net, and play a lot of games, otherwise you probably will not make great games.

@ Oluseyi

You always reply here on my thread. Thanks for the help man. :)

@ dashurc

I'll be graduating High School this year. Here in my school I got only Algebra, Trigonometry and learn some Calculus but not so much. Calculus was so hard for me. I'll try practicing some more to master it. I really love computer games but making one is stressful but in the end it's fantastic.

@ RobTheBloke

Woah. $65. It cost too much.

@ tufflax
Yeah, I'm also looking for a good designer book, but, most of them are expensive.

Personally I plan to move back into 3d land when I feel I got the hang of the 2d-in-3d stuff(such as a menu and hud) that I need.

Wow! I really like this book. They've explain everything well and I really love it. I'm now so eager to learn OpenGL. I'll never leave it. I'll live with it. I want to make my own shader or my own private graphic engine which is impossible for my math skills. lol.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement