When to know that I'm ready in OpenGL programming?

Started by
17 comments, last by Oluseyi 15 years, 2 months ago
When to know that I'm ready in 3D OpenGL? Should I really need to learn everything in 2D first before going there? Because I noticed that most of the people said in some forums that you should go 2d first before going to 3D.
Advertisement
When you understand the basics of linear algebra (i.e. matrices, their properties, and the mathematics surrounding them).
Honestly, I don't want to be stuck in 2D forever. I've been coding using some 2D API and game engines for almost a year now but not everyday/every week because of high school.

Ok I'm looking for my father's linear algebra book. So learning this will make me ready for it?
Well, matrices play a rather large role in 3D graphics. Having a firm grasp on the theory surrounding them would be a good idea.

That said, I certainly ventured into 3D land without having touched linear algebra. I didn't really understand the code I was writing, but I made a simple terrain engine. Can't say I really 'learned' very much from the exercise, however -- mainly because I didn't understand why the code I was writing was having the effects it was having.
Quote:Original post by mark25
When to know that I'm ready in 3D OpenGL? Should I really need to learn everything in 2D first before going there? Because I noticed that most of the people said in some forums that you should go 2d first before going to 3D.

The reason people encourage you to make 2D games first is because you need to learn to make games first, without the added challenge of figuring out 3D math. 2D spaces are intimately familiar to use - computer and television screens, pieces of paper - and simpler to understand.

If you can make 2D games successfully, then you're ready for 3D. Don't worry if you don't know the math yet; you'll learn.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
The reason people encourage you to make 2D games first is because you need to learn to make games first, without the added challenge of figuring out 3D math. 2D spaces are intimately familiar to use - computer and television screens, pieces of paper - and simpler to understand.

If you can make 2D games successfully, then you're ready for 3D. Don't worry if you don't know the math yet; you'll learn.

Ok I'll go and teach myself how to program in 3D. Do you have any beginner's book to recommend to me?
Ok I'll go and teach myself how to program in 3D. Do you have any beginner's book to recommend to me?

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, by two of the founders of this site, Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins, is a pretty good intro book. Even if you ultimately decide to go with Direct3D, a lot of the concepts translate well.
Agreed on the above. I have that book (used it in a c++ class in my program), as well as more opengl. I still have yet to read more opengl, but i wanna focus on text-based games still lol.
Ok I have that book right now. I'm in Chapter 2 and this is book is quite impressive.

Crap there are too many functions in OpenGL. I need to memorize all of this.

By the way, do you think using OpenGL with SDL is recommended for a beginner?
Ok I have that book right now. I'm in Chapter 2 and this is book is quite impressive.

Crap there are too many functions in OpenGL. I need to memorize all of this.

By the way, do you think using OpenGL with SDL is recommended for a beginner?

You don't need to remember all the commands, all you need to do is copy and paste. Also I see no reason to ever learn SDL if your going to make 3D games.

There is no reason to not jump right in to 3D game programming, you really don't need math skills, I'm not very good with math and I already have made quite a few 3D games.

I'm now working on a very advance 3D game engine, up until now I really have not needed very good math skills but there are things I get stuck on that require math, I eventually figure them out though.
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement