Triphess - a 3-way chess

Started by
7 comments, last by Last Judge 15 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, Triphess started as my school project and now I'm working on it to add new features and improve the old ones... here is the website where you can find more information about it, take a look at the gallery and download it: Triphess I'm sorry, but english documentation is pending because I have to learn for my last exam and I don't have much time to do things besides learning... if you make any modifications to it, please ask for my permission first and I would also like to see the modified version of it.. the features I'm currently working on are: - animations - update via Internet what I'd like to see, is some feedback from you guys.. I don't care if it's positive or negative.. I just need some feedback, so I know what to add/improve.. Thanks, Miroslav Farkas edit: some screenshots [Edited by - Last Judge on January 26, 2009 3:22:36 PM]
_____________________________First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win.
Advertisement
Well, this looks really cool, but I can't play it in that language, sadly. What language is that any way?
A quick play through pointed out a couple of things you need:
-The rules for check and check mate aren't right; you shouldn't be able to do anything until you're out of check, and you should never get to the point where the king is dead. The game ends before then.
-The game ends if one person's king dies. Shouldn't it go on for the other two?
-Need an enemy AI, but of course this is far from trivial.
-Castling!

Great start! It ran nicely and without any problems for me.
Quote:Original post by Bromordra
Well, this looks really cool, but I can't play it in that language, sadly. What language is that any way?

Well.. you can change the language in the Triphess.ini file if you can't find the right menu

it's the 'Lang' entry

0 - English
1 - Slovak
2 - German

or you can set it in the menu

either: Hra > Nastavenia (and there you just check 'English')

or: Spiel > Einstellungen (and check 'English')
_____________________________First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then you win.
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
A quick play through pointed out a couple of things you need:
-The rules for check and check mate aren't right; you shouldn't be able to do anything until you're out of check, and you should never get to the point where the king is dead. The game ends before then.
-The game ends if one person's king dies. Shouldn't it go on for the other two?
-Need an enemy AI, but of course this is far from trivial.
-Castling!

Great start! It ran nicely and without any problems for me.

1) Before you post, be so kind and read the rules I wrote in the program
- I wrote that the rules for check mate aren't even implemented. The reason: every person, who knows that his/her king is in danger will do something to prevent killing the king.
- Currently I plan to add the check mate rules to some later version of the game (possibly 1.30)

2) No, it shouldn't go on for the other two (but same as point 1. read the rules I wrote in the program)

3) AI - well.. it's not as easy as it may seem (but I'm thinking of implementing one - at least some stupid one just to have an opponent)

4) The version that's available for download is the 1.10 version (the way I submitted it as the project .. btw.. I got an A for that). Now I'm working on the 1.20 version where I plan to add following features:
- Castling
- Animations

Edit: For Linux users: Runs great in Wine
Quote:
The reason: every person, who knows that his/her king is in danger will do something to prevent killing the king.

That is kind of the point [grin]

Seriously though, I don't know if one can map "check" correctly to this game. For instance, player 1 moves a piece and now player 2 can take player 3's king with their queen. In regular chess you always have a chance to respond to check. Maybe you would somehow disallow such discovery attacks on a king (which raises further issues on what to do if such a move is necessary for the current player to get out of check) or just forbid capturing a king and force the player to respond in their next go.
Trippy.
Holy crap, you can read!
Woah, this is crazy.
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Quote:
The reason: every person, who knows that his/her king is in danger will do something to prevent killing the king.

That is kind of the point [grin]

Seriously though, I don't know if one can map "check" correctly to this game. For instance, player 1 moves a piece and now player 2 can take player 3's king with their queen. In regular chess you always have a chance to respond to check. Maybe you would somehow disallow such discovery attacks on a king (which raises further issues on what to do if such a move is necessary for the current player to get out of check) or just forbid capturing a king and force the player to respond in their next go.

Well.. the idea if the game is: "If the other two players don't like you, you are pretty much f***ed" :D :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement