• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bahdom

[SOLVED] SDL Window Resize question

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to make an SDL window resizable, however, whenever I stretch the width, the height seems to randomly increase on its own. If I verify the resulting height value in resizeWindow its usually a number with more than 6 digits. Even if I "diagonally stretch" the window the result is the same. This does not happen if I only stretch the height. The event code:
            case SDL_VIDEORESIZE:
                    engine.graphics->resizeWindow(event.resize.w, event.resize.h);
                    engine.screenW = engine.graphics->getScreenW();
                    engine.screenH = engine.graphics->getScreenH();
                    resetWindowDependantValues();
                break;
As a side question: is it better to let the user drag&drop to a desired size and use that resolution when he goes fullscreen or limit the fullscreen resolutions to a set list (800x600, 1024x768, etc)? Also, I had a question about the resizing of the window itself. Is it possible to *test* the selected window settings? For example:
    SDL_Surface* tempScreen;
    tempScreen = SDL_SetVideoMode(screenW, screenH, screenBPP, SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_DOUBLEBUF|SDL_RESIZABLE|SDL_FULLSCREEN);

if(tempScreen) screen = tempScreen;
That won't work since doing SetVideoMode would release the old screen value possibly leaving the application without a valid screen. Is the only way to do this storing the working settings and reinitializing in case the new settings don't work? [Edited by - Bahdom on January 26, 2009 1:12:07 PM]

Advertisement
A couple of quick questions/suggestions:

1. Have you tried setting a breakpoint in the debugger, and stepping through the code to see where the 'height' value is becoming corrupted?

2. To test whether a video mode is supported, take a look at SDL_VideoModeOK().

3. For fullscreen, you typically want to allow the user to select from the resolutions that are supported on his or her system. To get a list of these resolutions, use SDL_ListModes().

You can use SDL_VideoModeOK() to test the settings.

I cannot reproduce your issue. Here is the full test code:

#include "SDL.h"
#include <sstream>

int main(int, char **)
{
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);

SDL_SetVideoMode(800,600,0,SDL_ANYFORMAT | SDL_RESIZABLE);

bool running = true;
while(running)
{
SDL_Event event;
SDL_WaitEvent(&event);
switch(event.type)
{
case SDL_QUIT:
running = false;
break;
case SDL_VIDEORESIZE:
{
SDL_Surface *screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(event.resize.w, event.resize.h, 0, SDL_ANYFORMAT | SDL_RESIZABLE);
std::stringstream message;
message << "event: " << event.resize.w << ' ' << event.resize.h
<< " screen: " << screen->w << ' ' << screen->h;
SDL_WM_SetCaption(message.str().c_str(),0);
}
break;
}
}

SDL_Quit();

return 0;
}

I made a testScreenSettings method to verify the validity of w/h/bpp/etc to test the settings before applying them and now everything seems to work fine (even the random height issues).

Thanks alot =]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!