Python 3.0 - How do I learn?

Started by
6 comments, last by Kylotan 15 years, 2 months ago
Well, Python has been pretty fun to start learning so far. It's my first programming language (sorta..I can pick apart VB, html, c++ and C# a little bit), but I'm wondering if picking Python 3.0 was a good start or should I have started with an earlier version of Python? Also, since I've started with Python 3.0 I found a tutorial called Byte of Python (link is at home..I'm at the office) that was written for 3.0. Are there any preferred tutorials for Python 3.0? I'm using the ActivePython gui, although I have the IDLEPython prompt installed as well. The gui just seemed easier to manage (and closer to visual studio which I'm somewhat familiar with the interface). Are there any disadvantages of using Python3.0? I read something about some changes that will break older python code if compiled in 3.0, but not really sure if that effects me when I'm just starting to learn it.

-Landshark (Scott)

A Growing Community of Aspiring Game Developers

www.gamedev4beginners.net

Advertisement
The primary difficulty you'll run into with 3.0 right now is that not many libraries currently work with it. When it comes time to do fun multimedia stuff, you'll need to fall back to an earlier version to use stuff like PyGame or PIL or NumPy. Given that the differences in syntax are so minor, you probably wouldn't go far wrong by sticking to 2.6 for the time being.
The disadvantage of using Python 3.0 is that a lot of libraries haven't been rewritten/compiled for it yet. PyGame is working on it, Pyglet is (I'm guessing) working on it, and Panda3D has no real intentions of supporting it anytime too soon. The advantage of working with Python 3 is that it is the way of the future, so it is good forward thinking. [wink]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Cool, thanks for the advice both of you.

I'll probably end up going back to 2.6 as I'm not looking to make it more challenging than I need to. :)

-Landshark (Scott)

Agreed. I also suggest starting with and older version. Especially if you are using pygame or planning on using it in near future since it's not yet compatible with 3.0.

Besides if you need any of the new stuff you could just use a future statement in the older versions since that Guido thinks of everything-LOL!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Thanks again,

I am now following this tutorial http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Python
(see the link for Python 2.x)

And am using the ActivePython2.6.1 for the gui. Seems like a good combo to get me started. :)

-Landshark (Scott)

For a Python starter, this is a great book to read: Think Python (PDF)
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
As I always say in these threads, I personally recommend using 2.5 at this point because 2.6 is just as new as 3.0, and equally poorly supported by 3rd party libraries. But if the libraries you want to use run on 2.6, go with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement