• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dim_Yimma_H

Mario Galaxy 2D fan game demo. Some opinions?

This topic is 3546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
The game is pretty good. I liked gravity effects, The only thing I would say that I disliked is the jumping. I didn't like how you have to hold down the spacebar to jump. I would like the jumping to be more like Mario.

The angles and directions the player moves in can be disorienting at times, especially when having to switch controls midway on a "planet" to keep moving "forward", jump over things, or dispatch enemies.

Rotating the camera to keep the player/avatar oriented "up" while moving along the surface i think would help this a lot and avoid control issues. You can see an example of what i mean in the flash game Aether.

Quote:
Original post by jtagge75
I like the visual style, its Super Mario Bros but its not. Looks pretty fun.

I'm glad to hear you like the style, maybe I can mark "first impression" as acceptable now.

Quote:
Original post by Eagle11
The game is pretty good. I liked gravity effects, The only thing I would say that I disliked is the jumping. I didn't like how you have to hold down the spacebar to jump. I would like the jumping to be more like Mario.

I guess it's quite contradicting how this Mario-like game doesn't have Mario-like jumps. My intention with the powering up before jumps was to make it intuitive from a real world perspective, though players aren't used to that. Now I feel a bit split about whether to replace that feature by mimicking the jumps of a Mario game.

Thank you for your opinion, it's much appreciated.

If anyone thinks of a clear drawback of powering up before jumps, I'd be interested to hear [wink]

Quote:
Original post by Gyrthok
The angles and directions the player moves in can be disorienting at times, especially when having to switch controls midway on a "planet" to keep moving "forward", jump over things, or dispatch enemies.

Thanks for pointing that out, and I believe that I can remedy the direction issue by allowing clockwise and counterclockwise movement around the planets, I'll try it out at least.

Quote:
Original post by Gyrthok
Rotating the camera to keep the player/avatar oriented "up" while moving along the surface i think would help this a lot and avoid control issues. You can see an example of what i mean in the flash game Aether.

Good example there, though my software rendered rotations would reduce performance much if rotating the whole view. I'll keep your idea in mind, still.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!