any good VoIP libraries for game development?

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 15 years, 2 months ago
Hey all, I'm not sure whether this should go in Multiplayer and Network Programming or in Alternative Game Libraries, so my apologies if it's miscategorized. I'm helping to develop a serious (non-entertainment) game, a training application that involves modeling contacting other players via phone and radio. We're hoping to find some nice straightforward open-source Voice over IP library that we can drop in for easy use. I've been tasked with getting the VoIP functionality working. I've done a little bit of poking around, and I've found this nice list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software ...and the only section that seems applicable is the "Frameworks and libraries" section, so naturally I'm looking at Tapioca and Telepathy/Farsight...but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at, and whether it's directly applicable for the kind of purposes I have. I don't really need 3D positional audio (at this time, anyway); I just need to be able to fetch audio from a microphone, send it over a network, and play it on the other side, and to be able to control when and to whom this is done. My development and test platform is a Windows PC, though staying cross-platform is ideal. Has anyone here ever incorporated VoIP into a game, not merely on the end-user side, but integrating it as part of the application proper? Do you have any recommendations for someone in my position? (BTW, someone on the official GameDev.net IRC channel mentioned I should come here and ask the moderator of this forum, hplus0603. They indicated you're some sort of expert or something. :) Hear my cries, oh mod!)
"The world of private Banking especially is fraught withhuge rewards for those who sit upon certain chairs and oversee certainportfolios." -spam email
Advertisement
In our platform we built phone and radio functionality, both private and public/broadcast. Our experience was that none of the open source was particularly well suited. There was a radio simulation company in DC that does it (AST?) but they just sell hardware, and it's really expensive. Thus, we ended up building our own. The plus of that is that our radio is now built into our session review capability, so when you wind back and re-play the entire session, the radio is also available (in a distributed fashion, for all participants).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Hm. Well, alright -- thanks for the reply. That being the case (that no open-source solutions seemed well-suited), do you have any recommendations for what to build on top of for crafting one's own solution? From looking at the website you linked, our target applications appear to be very similar.

Also fwiw we will be open-sourcing anything we come up with, as part of the Delta3D game engine.
"The world of private Banking especially is fraught withhuge rewards for those who sit upon certain chairs and oversee certainportfolios." -spam email
raknet?
If not, looking at their documentation might give some additional ideas.
I suggest you license our platform :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement