Get puzzled. .Net vs MFC

Started by
16 comments, last by jtagge75 15 years, 2 months ago
What should I use (.net or MFC) to write game with Directx? Actually, I try to write some little games in vb before and I want to write games in C++ now.. but I get puzzle with .net and MFC.... Please help me ^^ [Edited by - tonald on January 28, 2009 4:21:54 AM]
Advertisement
Your post certainly "got me puzzled".

MFC and CLR aren't really comparable... unless you mean MFC or .NET. If that's the case, I would imagine that you will want to just go with .NET and WinForms. Use C# and XNA, and you will be up and running much faster if you are coming from VB.
Sorry...
But I want to learn C++.
Should I use MFC or .NET
Thank you
C++ .NET and C++ are not the same languages. They're closely related, but I would suggest that if you want to learn C++, you program in C++, not C++.NET.
Quote:Original post by tonald
Sorry...
But I want to learn C++.
Should I use MFC or .NET
Thank you

Neither if you are intending on using DirectX.

You need to learn C++ (to a good level), and then the basics of Win32 (to bring up the window, most beginner directx books will have an appendix to explain this).
C++ or C++.net???
C++ or C++.net???

C++ as I have just said.
C++ or C++.net???

Forget about .NET if you are interested in graphics/game programming. Just learn pure C++. And be sure get a /good/ learning resource for C++.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
C++, just C++.

You need a C++ compiler like Visual C++ 2008 Express,
and the DirectX SDK, which can be freely downloaded from Microsoft.

Don't get this wrong, but if you're already having difficulties figuring out the difference between C++, C++/CLI, .NET and MFC (which can all be looked up on wikipedia) maybe you should look for a decent book that teaches you the basics step by step.

-

C++ = Programming language that compiles to machine code. Can use DirectX.

DirectX = Headers and code for C/C++, used to interface with your hardware (eg. 3D graphics card)

MFC = Headers and code for C/C++, used to create complex dialog-based windows applications.

.NET = similar to Java, bytecode language, bytecode compiler, large library of common code

C# = Programming language that compiles to the .NET bytecode language, requires a wrapper like XNA or SlimDX to use DirectX

C++/CLI = Programming language that compiles to the .NET bytecode language but can also use of C++ libraries.
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
You state that you want to learn C++. If that's your primary goal, then MFC / .NET / etc. are no concern to you, because you want to learn C++.

However, if you intend to learn C++ for the sole purpose of writing a Windows application, I strongly advice you to drop C++ and go with C#/WinForms. Writing GUI applications is so much easier in C# than they are in C++. With or without MFC, GUI apps in C++ are a bitch to write(Trust me, MFC sucks donkeyballs compared to WinForms).

You mention DirectX aswell. Using that in conjunction with C++ is fine. Be prepared for a steep learning curve tho

BUT, if you want to write games quickly and without too much hassle, go with C# / XNA. They're much easier to learn / work with and focus on getting things done. MSIL is usually as fast as C++ code, unless you're an expert C++ programmer

Toolmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement