Books C++

Started by
12 comments, last by M2tM 15 years, 2 months ago
Wich book do you most recommend i already know most basic C++, console apps , arrays,bit of functions - but probaly need to start more on object orientated (did a bit) want to do game programming if that helps. Have a few around Dietel C++ primier beginning C++ game programming Priemer press game programing all in one which of them , or others ? also have the 3D buzz videos tutorials liking them so far :) Cheers Catkill
Advertisement
I only have experience with one of those books: The C++ Primer. It is an excellent, excellent book but I think it would probably confuse you as a beginner. It is much more useful as a reference for intermediate programmers, in my opinion.
Accelerated C++ is generally considered to be THE introduction to programming with C++ when you don't otherwise know any other OOP languages and don't know programming basics. C++ Primer (no Plus) is generally considered a C++ legality guide like The C++ Programming Language. Legality guides are basically what you can and cannot do with the language.

I have also found that C++ Primer Plus (unrelated to C++ Primer) is also a very good book to start with but it's a large and heavy book and that might distract from it's contents.
The Dawson book should keep you interested in learning C++ since most of the examples use games so I suggest that.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangel
The Dawson book should keep you interested in learning C++ since most of the examples use games so I suggest that.

Beginning C++ Game Programming is REALLLY basic and his writing style is a bit umm insulting a times. Really Accelerated C++ is a fantastic book even if the examples aren't "games".
Quote:Original post by keltor2243

Beginning C++ Game Programming is REALLLY basic and his writing style is a bit umm insulting a times. Really Accelerated C++ is a fantastic book even if the examples aren't "games".

Fully supported. I've seen these "begin game programming" books about and considered but bought Accelerated C++ instead and would highly recommend it. As the book explains it wont tell you everything about the language. But considering the size of the book compared to some things (like Frank Luna's DirectX 9.0c: A shader Approach which is about 3x the thickness) it's still a bargain and will lead you onto a book like The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup or C++ Primer which do cover the entire language in much more detail than you might ever need.
Quote:Original post by ExcessNeo

Fully supported. I've seen these "begin game programming" books about and considered but bought Accelerated C++ instead and would highly recommend it. As the book explains it wont tell you everything about the language. But considering the size of the book compared to some things (like Frank Luna's DirectX 9.0c: A shader Approach which is about 3x the thickness) it's still a bargain and will lead you onto a book like The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup or C++ Primer which do cover the entire language in much more detail than you might ever need.

I disagree I've read that book(accelerated C++) and it was hard to make progress due to all the simple typo's and silly mistakes I found just in the first few chapters.
If you want a proper C++ that's not to advanced I actually recommend Stroustroup's new book now that I've been reading it:
Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++
p.s. If you really got the basics of C++ down what you really need to do at this point is practice more instead of reading another book. That's why I suggested the Dawson books since it has quite of number of interesting C++ games you can build your skills with.
If you read chapter 0 of the link I provided above there are some more tips that suggest the same thing:
"The best follow-up to this initial course is to work on a real project developing
code to be used by someone else. After that, or (even better) in parallel with a
real project, read either a professional-level general textbook (such as Stroustrup,
The C++ Programming Language), a more specialized book relating to the needs of
your project (such as Qt for GUI, or ACE for distributed programming), or a
textbook focusing on a particular aspect of C++ (such as Koenig and Moo, Accelerated
C++; Sutter’s Exceptional C++; or Gamma et al., Design Patterns). For complete
references, see §0.6 or the Bibliography section at the back of the book.
"
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by ExcessNeo

I disagree I've read that book(accelerated C++) and it was hard to make progress due to all the simple typo's and silly mistakes I found just in the first few chapters.
If you want a proper C++ that's not to advanced I actually recommend Stroustroup's new book now that I've been reading it:
Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++
p.s. If you really got the basics of C++ down what you really need to do at this point is practice more instead of reading another book. That's why I suggested the Dawson books since it has quite of number of interesting C++ games you can build your skills with.
If you read chapter 0 of the link I provided above there are some more tips that suggest the same thing:
"The best follow-up to this initial course is to work on a real project developing
code to be used by someone else. After that, or (even better) in parallel with a
real project, read either a professional-level general textbook (such as Stroustrup,
The C++ Programming Language), a more specialized book relating to the needs of
your project (such as Qt for GUI, or ACE for distributed programming), or a
textbook focusing on a particular aspect of C++ (such as Koenig and Moo, Accelerated
C++; Sutter’s Exceptional C++; or Gamma et al., Design Patterns). For complete
references, see §0.6 or the Bibliography section at the back of the book.
"

Accelerated C++ has always been suggested by pretty much anyone who's anyone in the C++ realm including Bjarne himself, but what's odd is when I was finishing my phD @ TAMU, I TA'd one of the intro classes that I believe used the early version of this book, so I'm going to order it myself from Amazon.

I'm sure it's a great book, but Accelerated C++ has been recommended for 8 years now, but I'm not sure what that reference is to the particular aspect of C++ that AC++ is focused on ...

There's Eratta as with most books. You can also grab AC++ for $30 rather than the $70 Bjarne's book is.

[Edited by - keltor2243 on January 29, 2009 10:15:33 AM]
Doesn't really matter what book you get as your first...just be sure to type in the sample code and compile and run it for each chapter. Then after it compiles and works modify it a bit to do something different. You can't really learn much just from reading...you need to actually type the code in and run it.
If you already know a decent amount of basic C++, maybe this one:

(C++ for Game Programmers)
http://www.amazon.com/C-Game-Programmers-Development/dp/1584504528/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233264241&sr=8-1

It's not a basics book, and it isn't really project based, but I've been reading it recently and it has a lot of very useful and very practical info about using C++ specifically for game programming, including things like optimization, memory management, and crash proofing a game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement