I think I may be upset

Started by
34 comments, last by d000hg 15 years, 2 months ago
I am trying to figure out if I should file a complaint along with a bunch of the other former employees of Sensory Sweep or not. I have been trying to hold out hope that things haven't been as bad as it looks. After working alternating 60 hour, and 80 hour weeks for 2 months without getting paid, I fell apart emotionally. It was a relief when I was laid off in November. They told me I could reapply when they got back on their feet in January (I am quite sure that I'm not.) So it has been 2 months since and I still haven't gotten paid, and so I decided to check up on what was happening. I checked the place recently, and 75% of the people have quit or been laid off. Turns out I didn't have it nearly as bad as a bunch of my coworkers, many of whom have families to care for. I Then found out that they are being investigated by the Labor Department for unpaid wages, and that there were rumors of embezzlement. Now there are news stories about it such as this and this And then I found this site run by some former employees. Uggh, what a mess. Meanwhile I am still looking for another job, and thinking of using my saved money for Graduate School.
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
Advertisement
Yes. You should get paid for the work you did. You're not a slave are you?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Yes. You should get paid for the work you did. You're not a slave are you?

No, I'm not. That's why I am going to take action. I didn't care much if I was going to paid a bit late, but this is much more than that.
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
I understand. You probably didn't want to make waves, but it seems to me that only you can stand up for yourself now and given that the federal government has gotten involved, you need to look out for yourself too. A new job and/or grad school sounds like a good place to begin as you probably won't see the money you're owed for quite a while given the pending legalities.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I think it's complete bullshit, and you're not alone. But I'm with LessBread, you're definitely not going to be seeing any money for a while; at least the government stepped in and is aware of the situation. Now wouldn't be a bad time to go back to school provided you have the savings for it.
You think you are upset? I'd be frickin' livid. The PDF on the website you linked to has a lot of great information. I'd definitely recommend taking action.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by Zipster
I think it's complete bullshit, and you're not alone. But I'm with LessBread, you're definitely not going to be seeing any money for a while; at least the government stepped in and is aware of the situation. Now wouldn't be a bad time to go back to school provided you have the savings for it.
As in Stargate Worlds people? That seems odd.
Oh wow. I didn't know that about Stargate Worlds.

I hope they actually do release the game...
Don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to be attacking you Platinum314, but how is it that stuff like this happens?

You're about the 4th person in the past 2 weeks I've read about or talked too who recently quit/was layed off from a job that didn't pay for over a month.

Why do people stick with a company like this? I personally would have quit at the latest by the time the third or fourth paycheck didn't arrive.

(Then again, I looked at their career opportunities, and the description of the company environment sounded eerily like the one I work for, and knowing the people who work here, it wouldn't surprise me that there were a lot of people who gave their lives to the company while receiving no pay [although we do get paid, but the mentality of the people, I could see them accepting no pay]).
I don't understand either. If a paycheck were missed I would wonder what was up. If nobody was responsive in getting it fixed than I'm gone and filing a lawsuit/claim.

People don't 'not get paid'.. ever. If you don't get your first missed check within a day or so and lots of apologies than you aren't getting any money if you stay.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement