Bloom attempt

Started by
13 comments, last by zedz 15 years, 2 months ago
I created my first bloom using a bright pass and HV Gaussian filter... do you think it is decent enough or should I improve it? The effect was created in Rendermonkey using the default crappy textures :P No bloom Bloom
Advertisement
it's too bright
MSN:xoyojank#live.com
too bright!!! bullshit its not bright enuf, I can still make out some of the scene

oblivion is an example of bloom done right, take for example the healthy glow on this guys checks
Way, way, way too bright. See the "Realistic Rendering" link in my signature? I suggest you click it. In fact, I think there is too much bloom in the picture of Oblivion zedz posted. People don't glow like that. It's not realistic at all. Bloom can make a game look great, but it has to be used in very low doses. I mean really, how many things do you see in real life that have a bloomish glow? A slight use of bloom and a slight use of SSAO can be a great finishing touch, but too much of either (and it's really easy to go overboard) just kills it.

[Edited by - MikeTacular on February 1, 2009 1:00:33 AM]
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular
Way, way, way too bright. See the "Realistic Rendering" link in my signature? I suggest you click it. In fact, I think there is too much bloom in the picture of Oblivion zedz posted. People don't glow like that. It's not realistic at all. Bloom can make a game look great, but it has to be used in very low doses. I mean really, how many things do you see in real life that have a bloomish glow? A slight use of bloom and a slight use of SSAO can be a great finishing touch, but too much of either (and it's really easy to go overboard) just kills it.

I agree! The realistic rendering strip is hilarous :D! When the bloom is done I will try some HDR effect and then SSAO!

I improved a little more the luminance filter and tried it in a more suitable scene (using a bloom filter over an env map that already has a bloomy look does not make more sense, I suppose...).

Here it is the results... I can tweak some pameters (white treshold and blending factor of the additive composite pass) to get different bloom appearances.

No bloom
Bloom1
Bloom2
Bloom3

Any other advice?
Keep it the same, BUT only bloom very specific things. The ball's glowy-lines look good being bloomed, but the mountains and the sky don't. The sun is a toss-up, but I don't think it's necessary.
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
Keep it the same, BUT only bloom very specific things. The ball's glowy-lines look good being bloomed, but the mountains and the sky don't. The sun is a toss-up, but I don't think it's necessary.

And what about the last 4 pics?
Bloom to me has never looked realistic in most cases.. like the infamous "lens flare" effect, its a representation of an optical artifact. I think bloom should only appear on things that are supposed to actually glow, like lights.
Quote:Original post by Matt Aufderheide
Bloom to me has never looked realistic in most cases.. like the infamous "lens flare" effect, its a representation of an optical artifact. I think bloom should only appear on things that are supposed to actually glow, like lights.

QFT. Lights and suns should be a little bloomy, and things that reflect these super bright lights should be a little bloomy, but that's about it. The last 4 pictures have too much bloom. The actual amount of bloom that should be on that coin depends on how much light is shining on it. If it's a really bright light, I'd go with somewhere in between NoBloom and Bloom1. If it's a normal light, I'd go with NoBloom. Bloom3 is really unrealsitic.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Quote:Original post by MikeTacular
Quote:Original post by Matt Aufderheide

QFT. Lights and suns should be a little bloomy, and things that reflect these super bright lights should be a little bloomy, but that's about it. The last 4 pictures have too much bloom. The actual amount of bloom that should be on that coin depends on how much light is shining on it. If it's a really bright light, I'd go with somewhere in between NoBloom and Bloom1. If it's a normal light, I'd go with NoBloom. Bloom3 is really unrealsitic.

I totally agree! I posted the pictures only to know if my procedure is correct.

I think I will use a render to texture of the bloomy objects only instead of a full scene texture with a bright pass. This way I will get more control on what will bloom and what will not.

Thanks to everyone!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement