VS2008 Express Edition downsides, vs Pro

Started by
32 comments, last by metalmidget 15 years, 2 months ago
I'm tallying up a list of things I haven't been able to do in VS2008 Express Edition that have actually hindered my experience (as compared to the Pro edition.). It's a pretty minimal list, but still annoying to have these features gone. Maybe you guys know of some nice workarounds so that I can continue to use the Express Edition. Or maybe you can add to the list. :) - No margin guide allowed (since can't edit registry?) - No macro explorer window (does this mean we can't run VB macros at all from within the IDE?). - Not 100% sure if /MP is gone (fast multi-proc compiles), but it seems to be. :( I think it was an undocumented switch in VS2005Pro, so maybe there's hope. Didn't seem to work though when I tried adding /MP. The lack of "Add-In" support hasn't bugged me thus far, since the more-useful (for me) Custom Build Steps and External Tools are in there. Anyone else have experiences?
--== discman1028 ==--
Advertisement
/MP works fine in both 2005 and 2008 express editions.
Quote:Original post by discman1028
- No margin guide allowed (since can't edit registry?)
This works fine under the express editions (tried in VC and VC# 2008 Express). The only difference is where you need to put the Guides string.
It goes under...
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER]\Software\Microsoft\VCExpress\9.0\Text Editor
Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
No "solutions" in express either, only projects. I tried the express edition then went back to my copy of VS2003.NET

[Edited by - Wavarian on February 1, 2009 11:52:26 AM]
Quote:Original post by discman1028

- No macro explorer window (does this mean we can't run VB macros at all from within the IDE?).

No macros allowed in Express
No breakpoints window, no conditional breakpoints, no intellisense in WPF.
And no crash and freeze in VS2008 Express :) (at least so far).
Quote:Original post by Wavarian
No "solutions" in express either, only projects. I tried the express edition then went back to my copy of VS2003.NET

You can create multiple project solutions in Express ...
Quote:Original post by zaphod2
The breakpoints window is there in VS2005 Express, and conditional breakpoints work just fine. Can anyone confirm the above in VS2008 Express? I thought I might upgrade to it some time.

I'm not having any trouble creating multiple project solutions either.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote:Original post by Wavarian

There are solutions in 2008. Perhaps you were confused because they use a similar icon to projects unlike the Pro version?

Quote:no intellisense in WPF.

In what, XAML or in code? Because I have intellisense for both right in front of me...
Quote:Original post by iMalc
Quote:Original post by zaphod2
The breakpoints window is there in VS2005 Express, and conditional breakpoints work just fine. Can anyone confirm the above in VS2008 Express? I thought I might upgrade to it some time.

I'm not having any trouble creating multiple project solutions either.

Confirmed.

Took me a while to find the Breakpoint Window. I found it under the debug toolbar and then clicking on the little window with a breakpoint symbol on it. Funny that it's not in the View menu (or even View->Other Windows).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement