Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

musi

Cloning games

Hi there! Somehow I''ve found the time to program a little Boulderdash-clone. So I want to know if, once it is finished, I would be allowed to publish it while it is not based on an idea of my own, though I made some changes to the original principles? ...and if I could bring in some music of mine in mp3-format, without paying for the format? Thanks, Musi ------------------------------------------------------------- screenshot-> www.zanturio.de listen to desertwood!-> www.mp3.com\tantezante

This is mainly about intellectual property, so it is perhaps more suited for the Business forum. But the short answer is:

Yes, as long as you don''t copy anything tangible from Boulderdash. This means, don''t use their graphics, their music, their name, their story (yeah, like Boulderdash had much of a story ), their documentation, etc. And simply changing it to Moulderdash or whatever might not be enough. The game idea is free for anyone to use, however the physical assets such as graphics, text, etc, are covered by copyright.

As for MP3, I am not familiar with how all that works with regards to licensing. Perhaps someone else can advise?

AFAIK the mp3-format is free. Do a google-search for some free library to play mp3s unless you wan't to code it your self. (mpg123 is the only free library I know of, but I don't know if it is Linux only, or if it's portable).

(And of course don't trust anything I said above, I might be wrong )

[EDIT: Well, it turns out that I was wrong about what I said in this post. See below (or read about mp3 licensing)...]

Edited by - Dactylos on June 26, 2001 6:46:06 AM

Ok, that is good to know, thank you very much!
If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to do so.
Thanks!

My understanding was if you sell something that plays MP3, you need a ludicrously-overpriced license. If you give it away, you don''t.

If you make an encoder, free or not, you need a ludicrously overpriced license.

The MP3 format isn''t free, Fraunhoffer (excuse the bad spelling) have patents. Not an issue unless you want to sell it due to the licensing, if you do wanna sell though, look at OGG Vorbis (Almost complete, but usuable), or others.

Waassaap!!