Enhancing my library

Started by
4 comments, last by binchawpz 15 years, 2 months ago
Hello all, I am looking for some really good books to add on to my current library. I have done 2 semesters of work in Visual Basic and C++ (ANSI standard console stuff with a brief detour into the STL also). I have quite a good "beginners" library of books, and currently one general practice kind of book (Code Complete by Steve McConnell). I plan on placing an order at Amazon, and after spending about an hour navigating from page to page to page....I still don't really have a good idea on things to order. I plan on picking up Programming: Principles and Practice Using C Plus Plus, almost feel it a must. The areas that I feel I am lacking in however, and other interests (such as certifications) produce such a wide array of titles that I have no clue where to begin. I picked up Code Complete after seeing it recommended here quite a bit, so I come to the community once again to help me make some good choices in books. Now that my post is long winded...areas I lack/want to improve in, and want to have books to help me learn/solidify my knowledge: 1. General programming practices including such areas as: thinking in object oriented ways (I still find it quite a bit tedious at times), structuring code to facilitate future development/enhancements. 2. Getting certified study guides, I have looked at MS's self study packs, seems the reviews think there are better alternatives but never really mention any. 3. Learning about other methods of development like test driven development, agile development, XP, stuff like that. 4. Any books for bridging gaps from a novice into intermediate/advanced areas. There seems to be a ton of books for beginners, but I am past alot of those now (at least in my mind, I am tired of the basics basically and want to move on). Anyone have some suggestions for anything along those lines? Thanks for any help! Please do move my topic also, wasn't sure where exactly to place it.
Advertisement
Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code is a good book if you're not familiar with how refactoring works. If you're going to work with C++ you should probably pick up a couple good reference books like The C++ Programming Language and The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference. If you want to learn some pretty nifty/advanced C++ stuff then check out Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied.

Effective C++, More Effective C++, and Effective STL are excellent reads however I don't know if I can justify paying full price for them. Those might be better checked out from the library. It also might be a good idea for you to get something like Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software.
Well, since I didnt have any responses for a bit, I already made an order.

I ended up with these:

The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master

Pragmatic Thinking and Learning: Refactor Your Wetware

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C Plus Plus

Funny you mentioned the Design Patterns book, I almost picked that one up. I didn't really want to get real language specific with the book selection, I dabble in too many as it is (PHP, Java, C#, C++, VB), although at times I wonder if I should just focus down on one language.

Thanks for that list though, putting it in a file for my next order possibly.

*Edit* - On a side note, anyone here read Daemon? I think I heard about it here at gamedev.net, just curious if its a good read or not. Most of the reviews seemed to like it.
Every programmer should have a copy of Code Complete in their personal library
Quote:Original post by deathtrap
Every programmer should have a copy of Code Complete in their personal library

I will be honest about that book. I did not get it at first. It wasnt until I had 4 semesters under my belt, and a bit of doing my own projects, that I finally started to get alot of what is discussed. Once I had that basic understanding, and a few badly designed projects under my belt, going back and re-reading sections of that book are tremendously helpful. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the advanced basic/itermediate level.
Yes, Code Complete really is an amazing book. There is an interesting sequence of articles on Object Mentor about test driven development. Check out Robert C. Martin's articles if you're interested in that, or just click on the "Craftsman" topic. He also had an interesting article about a coffee maker that is about OO design. There are a ton of good articles on the Object Mentor site so it would probably be a good idea to poke around there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement