NP or P problem?

Started by
6 comments, last by alvaro 15 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am trying to write an algorithm and I can't find a solution. I am gonna give you an exemple it will be easier to understand, the input is just a number. The output is a list of list of numbers. in:2 out: 11 2 in:3 out: 111 21 12 3 in:4 out: 1111 211 112 22 31 13 4 in:5 out: 11111 2111 1211 1121 1112 221 212 122 311 131 113 23 32 41 14 5 I think there are not polynomial solutions. Am I right? How can I resolve this kind of problem? Thanks,
Advertisement
It's definitely in P.
Quote:Original post by smallGame
I am trying to write an algorithm and I can't find a solution.
Trying to match a number pattern reeks of a badly-written homework problem. It appears you are trying to do permuations, but that isn't likely to be something you'll actually use in the world.

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve with this algorithm?
Yes you right, I just try to prepare myself to job interviews. I feel like it's shame on me to not resolve this kind of staff.

I had a technical test to do and I gave up. So I don't know if it's good to give the test; even if it's over for me. So I give just an exemple:

input: string of digits, result
output string of digits with operator to get the result

"1231231234",11353 -> "12*3+1+23*123*4"

Quote:Original post by smallGame
input: string of digits, result
output string of digits with operator to get the result

"1231231234",11353 -> "12*3+1+23*123*4"

This.
For the original problem, if you imagine 5 elements in a row, there are 4 spaces between them. Now we'll put dividers in some of those spaces. For instance this is a possible configuration:
O|O O|O O => 1 2 2
There are 2^4 possible selections of which spaces have dividers in them (all 4-bit numbers), which gives you an easy way to enumerate the possibilities.

If you start with n elements, there are 2^(n-1) lines in the output. This is neither P nor NP.

Quote:Original post by alvaro
If you start with n elements, there are 2^(n-1) lines in the output. This is neither P nor NP.

Er, O(2^n) problems surely are NP...

But yeah, the outputs for N are recursively the outputs for (N-1) with a 1 prepended to them, as well as the outputs for (N-1) with 1 added to the first value.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by alvaro

Er, O(2^n) problems surely are NP...

That's not how it works. For a problem to be in NP you need to be able to verify that the answer is correct in polynomial time, which is not the case if the length of the output is exponential.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement