too 3d card or not?

Started by
6 comments, last by Slide 24 years, 8 months ago
the use of an isometric view is no longer speed based... you are right.

however, i feel that spritebased graphics look better (mainly because they are prerendered) and this is now the primary reason, imo, to use an iso view.

3d graphics have improved by leaps and bounds, but they still arent quite "there" yet.

and, as a side note, speed and appearance are important for a game, and in recent years, it seems that these are the ONLY aspects of games that are stressed, and that is unfortunate.

Get off my lawn!

Advertisement
There are a few upcoming iso games that use at least some degree of 3D acceleration, and it'll be interesting to see how it works out. The as-yet unofficial Fallout 3 is supposedly going to feature an entirely new iso engine using 3D support to allow you to zoom in and out, rotate the view, etc. Since one of the challenges in iso games has always been allowing the player to see behind walls and other obstacles, this could relieve a great deal of frustration. We'll have to wait to see.
Hi,
our game will use some 3d-acceleration in an iso-engine as well. Just a few fogging effects, some particels, .... but not as spectacular as for example Diablo2, but it'll look nice.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
We currently are not using in 3D features in our Isometric Engine. But we are thinking about adding them. It raises a question, do you also supply the same effects for somebody with out a 3D card? Also testing becomes a bit more complicated as you have to get a setup with all of the major 3D cards.

------------------
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
http://www.dynamicadventures.com

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
personally i think that a 3d card can add quite something to a traditional is game, even if its only effects then the difference is palpable. Diablo 2 uses some 3dfx stuff for nice special effects, the upcoming game from the Baldurs Gate people takes it further and does everything fully 3d. I think in terms of artwork going 3d takes the load off of the artists and alllows more flexibility, sure sprites look slightly better but the smoother animation in 3d gfx counts for something.

Besides, i think the point of worrying whether consumers have 3d cards is moot. Anyone who will spend money on a game *we* would play will most likely have at least a voodoo 1 (cheap as hell). The others just play crap like myst or have a playstation...

There's probably a simpler, more elegant way of doing it but hell this is London
Of course Vodoo 1 limits you to a 640x480 display and all of the Vodoo products limit you to 16bit (not really much of a limitation there but still something to consider). My current projects are 800x600, I really enjoy having that much screen area for character info and controls. The map is still 600x500 in this set up. 640x480 would be a bit of a change.

------------------
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
http://www.dynamicadventures.com

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Not really doing anything like this but figured it'd be interesting to see what peoples opinions were on whether to implement an iso engine in the traditional blitting way or to utilise those new fangled graphics card thingies to do it with poly's
I figure the old argument about blitting being faster no longer holds true with the amount of 3d metal avaialable in these days...
There's probably a simpler, more elegant way of doing it but hell this is London
Well. i don't categorize postal as a iso game, but it has some maps that are iso and all the characters are 3d, this brings a cool new effect for example when a missile expoldes near a guy he flyes and then fells and i believe that this done with sprites would be disapointing. Just a though .

------------------
Bruno Sousa aka Akura
Founder and programmer - Magick.pt
magick_pt@geocities.com
http://magickpt.cjb.net

It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement