Whats your idea of the ultimate Iso engine?

Started by
26 comments, last by GameDev.net 23 years, 10 months ago
TANSTAAFL, how is your book coming along? I have no patience to see it
Advertisement
Your wrong Possibility, not all 3D cards can do 2D. The Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 chipset can only do 3D and must be used with a 2D card.

Darkening
---------------------------Unfortunately, no one can be told what a bug is.You have to see it for yourself...
I meant most cards of course, and especially anything relatively new.

Possibility
I am currently investigating using ray casting to draw an
ISO world. Ok I won''t be able to take advantage of the hardware
so much but I need cross platform.

Anybody know if any engine has contempleted this? Certainly
would get rid of overdraw.

Cheers
Personally, I am a fan of the Myth engine. Part 3D part 2D. It''s a nice mix. It could use some extra features for lighting, but overall its my favorite.

Dino M. Gambone

Good judgement is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgement.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

Currently working on Rise of Praxis MUD: http://www.riseofpraxis.net/

Actually, I think Myth is a Landscape Engine. Even though it rocks...

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
The Pool of Radiance II engine looks really sweet and I think it''s all 3D. If you haven''t seen any screenshots then you should check them out. My only problem with 3D these days is that some companies seem to concentrate so much on the 3D engine that gameplay seems to get left behind. You can even see it in some of the advertisements. Ads will go on about the advanced 3D engine and then at the bottom maybe mention something about what the game is about. I am still a big fan of really nice 2D iso graphics (Baldur''s Gate, Fallout, Age of Empires). I would much rather see a game with really good 2D graphics than a game with below average 3D graphics.

Marcus
How about Nethergate (The offspring of the Exile series lives up to its ancestors ).

Didn''t think much of Homeland though. Needs more work, and the graphics aren''t so cool.

"Gameplay over technology. Anything else, and your game sucks!" -Smart developer

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement