Whats your idea of the ultimate Iso engine?

Started by
26 comments, last by GameDev.net 23 years, 10 months ago
So what do people think would be the ultimate isometric engine?

-ddn

Advertisement
There really is no answer to that question. A kitchen sink iso engine isnt necessarily a good thing. Yes, there are some aspects of an iso engine that are the same no matter what the project, but the more advanced features are project based.

Get off my lawn!

REVENANT!!!

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
I think that taking advantage of hardware accelerated D3D, where present, is a feature that should be in any ''ultimate'' isometric engine. Anything more specific than that would have to be taken on a game-by-game basis, I think.
I wanted to jump in and agree with Kylotan. I think D3D (or OpenGL) will play a more crucial role in coming iso engines. It opens up a lot of doors for you as far a speed, capabilities and special effects go.

Sieggy
I think the future of all engine is full 3D and I think the isometric engine will all go that way too (Someday).

A good exemple of very good "isometric" engine is the one used with Warcraft III. Even if it''s not a real iso-engine, I think it''s the way an engine should be done these days.

Darkening
---------------------------Unfortunately, no one can be told what a bug is.You have to see it for yourself...
Nah, you totally dont need 3D at all for a good isometric engine. I just optimized my engine and it now runs at over 60fps in 1024x768x16 on a P200 w/ only 32megs ram. It does however use the voodoo3 2000 w/ 16megs ram, but its 2D, not 3D. You can make an extremely fast engine using a 3D accelerator card but have the engine be 2D, because the 3D card is still optimized for 2D aswell as 3D.

Darkening, you must not have a clue. War3 is totally not isometric at all, its 3D, just like Quake3 and TombRaider (the latter one being the better example since its not first person).

Possibility

Edited by - Possibility on June 7, 2000 11:47:37 PM
Possibility,

Don''t forget there is much more to 3D than just speed. I can take the same art I use for a flat plain and use it to create slick looking rolling hills and valleys. Since you are actually dealing in 3D space you are open to a lot more manipulations without having to draw flat tiles, sloping tiles, etc. that you had to do in 2d. Also, things like lighting, special effects for fog, spells. explosions, weather, or whatever and can add a whole lot.

Sieggy
Three words:
Image Based Rendering.

Look it up.
That''s where it will go

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Hey, guys, look at the date of the first two posts...

---

Comes from needing to learn as much about Isometric engines as possible...

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement