Smartphone rec's

Started by
10 comments, last by Toolmaker 15 years, 2 months ago
I'm ready to throw my Moto Q out the door, after it's hit the wall and floor a few times, and an unfortunate incident involving a very hefty brick. I always lock the phone. Lately, when I try to unlock the phone, it quite randomly freezes. It doesn't unlock. I briefly lift the battery out and back in to warm reboot it. (Why? Because it's still locked.) I try writing a text message, and it quite randomly freezes. I never know when it will freeze when I try to do these things, because it doesn't always do it. Except when I need to do something important, of course. AFAIR, it hasn't frozen for any other task but those two. I actually thought I had it figured out, because Instant Messaging would start up when the phone booted, and temporary Internet files were piling up. Having been actively deleting all temp files, closing all processes except System, and telling Instant Messaging to burn in Gehenna, it still freezes for those two tasks. I don't need this. I'm also ready to dump Sprint, because Verizon and AT&T have better coverage here. I have a long-standing hatred for AT&T's landline service, but I had a good experience with AT&T Wireless. (I used to use a prepaid AT&T Go phone as a backup, in case I was stranded and my Sprint phone had no bars.) So, naturally, I'm looking at Blackberry Storm, Pearl, and I'm still tempted to get an iPhone. (I'd also look at G1, if it wasn't T-Mobile.) So, I leave it to you, fair smartphone-wielding techies of Gamedev. What do you recommend?
Advertisement
I've had an iPhone for a week now and LOVE it. I've had no problems with it and the applications (many which are free) that you can get for it are excellent.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I was going to say wait and get a Palm Pre but seeing as how you want a new phone now and you don't want Sprint that probably wouldn't work out so well.
Quote:Original post by nsmadsen
I've had an iPhone for a week now and LOVE it. I've had no problems with it and the applications (many which are free) that you can get for it are excellent.

Does it sync well with Windows? Contacts, files, etc.?
I haven't used that feature yet because I don't run Outlook on my home PC and do not keep my contacts info on it either. It does sync very well with my email accounts. I can ask my management at NetDevil, many of whom own one as well. I'll get back to you.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Download the "Weather Eye" free weather application. I was on the development team :). Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements!
I haven't used that feature yet because I don't run Outlook on my home PC and do not keep my contacts info on it either. It does sync very well with my email accounts. I can ask my management at NetDevil, many of whom own one as well. I'll get back to you.

Ah, I'm about the same, that's all I need. I don't use Outlook either. Thanks. [smile]
I myself own a Windows Mobile 6.1 smartphone, an HTC P4350. It's an older model which is probably no longer sold, but I absolutely love it.

My current subscription expires in october this year, and I plan on getting another HTC again. My phone has a slideable QWERTY keyboard hidden underneath it, and to be honest, I prefer a keyboard way over a touchscreen without tactile feedback. I can type blind on my keyboard.

Toolmaker

I don't know, I still have to look at what keys I'm typing -- they're small and there are lots of them. So honestly, a physical keyboard doesn't actually matter to me.

Another advantage to a software keyboard would be the alphabet in touch-tone dialing. If you give me a phone number like 1-800-AWESOME with my current phone, I'd have to pick up another phone just to see what letters fall on what buttons. A software keyboard could just show me. Screen size is another plus.

Since you have WM6.1 as well, tell me, do you ever have problems with tmail.exe, or text messaging in general?
I have an HTC Touch Pro that runs WM6 and I haven't had an issue with the text message aside from spam

Along with the slide out keyboard it has a phone button that brings up an old style number pad on the touch screen so you can dial 1-800-AWESOME easily. The only gripe I have with it is it seems a bunch of WM developers have jumped ship to follow the iPhone/Android hype train

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement