Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiia

Test My ISO Engine?

I've been working on this engine for a few weeks, and was hoping some of you guys would want to test it out. It's still very much in development, but I just finished programming the setup routines to be universal and don't have but two computers to test it out on. This is not the engine, but the game editor. http://members.nbci.com/kestar/Release.zip You just need to drag the map file (scene.pem) into the exe to begin. Some things to note: You need Direct X 7 or higher. The program first tries to start in 640x480x32 mode, then if that fails, tries 640x480x16. 16 bit mode is a little faster on my machine, but 32 bit mode looks better, especially with grey colors. Running on my 450 PII, it goes pretty smooth (55fps in 32bit mode, and 60fps in 16bit), but on my 233 PI labtop, it goes a little choppy. I still need to optimize things, so forgive me if you have a slower computer. You can still take a look though. Please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions. And let me know what you think. Thanks, Jiia Edited by - jiia on June 25, 2001 1:35:38 PM

That''s not good. Are you sure you dragged the Scene.pem file
into the exe? Sounds like the map file isn''t being loaded,
I''ll have to take a look. Thanks.
-Jiia

It works fine for me - but when I attempt to draw a tile, the thing scrolls through all the avalible tiles - ie: the R1-R5, so if I set R5 to a green tile, it will rapidly scroll through the avalible tiles (all blue, then a green, then back to the blues)

But it runs fine on my machine - Voodoo5 5500, 650mhz w/ 128megs ram on Win2k

--LordKaT

Sorry, I just started working on the help mode, so it isn''t
nearly enough finished to explain how to edit everything.
The R1-R5 indexes are for random plotting. When painting, it
just randomly selects one index 1-5. If you select R1, the
plot is not random, and it uses the R1 tile image.
If you press "paint entire map", it simulates painting
onto every floor tile with the brush settings. Let me know
if something is not wroking right with that.

Thanks for the input,
Jiia

I got a blank screen, too. ProjC.exe, Data.dat, and Scene.pem were all in the same directory. I have a Pentium 450, 128 megs of ram, and an STB nVIDIA TNT 16MB video card. The log file said that everything initialized ok.

Jiia:
Your engine works beautifully for me. Looks very well done also - congratulations. I''m running on Win2K sp2, DirectX8, PII450, 256MB Ram, GeForce2MX (TwinView, your program behaves correctly, even with multiple monitors - a feature many apps don''t get right ). I''m getting around 60Hz framerate, which is half my monitor''s refresh rate at that resolution, so I guess you are refresh-rate limited (a good thing).

Will we get to see the source code? A website? At least a readme in the release?

PS, you really ought to load a default map, I guess most of the "I''ve got a blank screen" responses you''ve got are from people who did not correctly drag the map file on the exe. That''s a very uncommon and unintuive design choice...
So people:
Drag the map file (Scene.pem) on the exe and voila!

regards,
BuschnicK

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
blackfish.sourceforge.net

quote:
Original post by BuschnicK
That's a very uncommon and unintuive design choice...

hehe. thats what most people call drag and drop its neither uncommon and most likely not unintuitive, only to coders which usually need to start their demos like:
double click icon, hold right shift with left finger and dance at least 2 secs to start ;-)

ps: it worked ok on my System Athon750/Win2k, 448Mb, Radeon

Edited by - harrys on July 7, 2001 5:48:06 PM