Vertex Normals

Started by
12 comments, last by AbeE 22 years, 9 months ago
Yea, but its already been uploaded.
You could also tell me the framerate you get cause it uses display lists to draw the terrain and it would be interesting to see whether different graphic cards are better or worse at drawing them.
you should also try it in windowed first to check it runs ok on your system so if it were to crash you could ''End Task'' it. Though it shouldn''t cause it doesnt on mine and it uses Nehe''s base code.
Cheers again

http://www.becko.freeserve.co.uk
Advertisement
Sorry man, forgot about this

It ran fine, about 120FPS give or take a bit. Its cool the way you can adjust the water, i reckon you have a really good start there, especially with the terrain generation, some of the terrains I got were very cool . If you put some more textures and stuff on it would even better, and you could see the joins on some of the water textures which didn''t look so flash, but overall, very nice

FatalXC
Thanks for lookin' at it, I added a few things, like when you enter the water there are sound effects on entering and exiting it and when you stay under. Plus I also added a feature that lets you switch between using a display list and just drawing it using a loop every frame at runtime using the 'D' key, so it'd be interesting to see what difference there is in framerates there (though I havent put that version on the site yet)
Also, do you remember what grid options you used when you got about 120fps, thought terrain height shouldnt make any difference. And what computer specs u have.
I have a Pentium3 500Mhz now and a GForce 2 GTS and I get 800fps on a medium grid size. Dunno if I calculate fps right, though some1 said it was ok, it seems ok because when it reads 25 it seems proportionate and at 4 fps it seem right when lookin' at it.

Edited by - AbeE on July 19, 2001 7:07:14 PM
That was on a RivaTNT2 Athlon 700, not my other GeForce.

The height of the terrain would have a huge impact on performance, if you look at a mountain range and you are drawing everything, lots of the mountains will obscure other mountains and overdraw will be very high, but if you have a relatively flat landscape and draw everything, not as much overdraw, which means higher framerates.

The way higher memory bandwidth of the GeForce2 compared to the RivaTNT2 would make a really big difference.

FatalXC

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement