Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgrading an XBox

This topic is 6019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know the XBox hasn''t even been released yet, but I was wandering, since the XBox will use a PentiumIII processor, will it be upgradable? And what will happen when its time for the XBox to be superceeded, will MS offer an upgrade service? Could you put a faster P3 into it?

Game Download  ZeroOne Realm

Most likely the Xbox won''t be upgradable internaly. Upgradable consoles themselves pose a problem for developers, once you start upgrading you always have to scale back your games to run on the lowest common denominator. Bug issues also arise with the addition of "upgrades". I''d expect to see alot of upgrades that get plugged into the Joystick ports mainly because they use USB. So you have the ability to extend your hard drive, add modems etc with that. However the base unit will probably remain stable except with the possible addition of memory upgrades I would suppose. This way you won''t have to worry about "The blue screen of death". Or similar issues caused by non approved hardware and drivers.