2D Isomentric maps.

Started by
6 comments, last by GMano 15 years, 2 months ago
Hey there... Im trying to create a 2d isometric map based on an array(m_iMap[MAP_WIDTH][MAP_HEIGHT]). My tile size is 64x32... Im having trouble with the code. So far all i can come up with is: for(int w = 0; w < MAP_WIDTH; w++) for(int h = 0; h < MAP_HEIGHT; h++) { g_pGrassBitmap->Draw(hDC,xPos + TILE_WIDTH * w,yPos + TILE_HEIGHT * h,true); } But it gives me the tiled effect with gaps in between. Heres a silly diagramme! ^^ -------------------------- # = Tile * = No tile #*#*#* *#*#*#* #*#*#* ------------------------- lol. i hope that makes sense. I know that code snippet is incorrect but i cant think of how to fix it. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks
Advertisement
Each odd-numbered row needs to be shifted half the tile width to the right, and the rows are only half the tile height below the one above.
Yes i know that... But thats exactly what im struggling with :-(
Don't you want it to be:
g_pGrassBitmap->Draw(hDC, (xPos + w) * TILE_WIDTH, (yPos + h) * TILE_HEIGHT,true);

Keep in mind that
1 + 2 * 3
is not equal to
(1 + 2) * 3
because multiplication has a higher priority than addition ;)
mmmm.. That doesnt work.

Basically, i have to move every second row a 1/2 tile to the right and a half a tile down and then move the next row back again. But i cant figure out how :-( Im so frustrated... It shouldnt be this hard...
Use the % (modulus) operator

// modulus (divides, and returns remainder)const int rowOffset = (h % 2) ? (TILE_WIDTH/2) : 0;// or check the LSB (faster)const int rowOffset = (h & 1) ? (TILE_WIDTH/2) : 0;

Kewl!!!! Thanks it works beutifuly... But why is the one faster than the other? :-/
Quote:Original post by _damN_
Kewl!!!! Thanks it works beutifuly... But why is the one faster than the other? :-/

One calculates remainder after a divide by two, while the other is just a bit compare.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement