Question about Borland

Started by
2 comments, last by caffeineaddict 22 years, 10 months ago
I am using the Borland 5.02 intro edition I guess. I know that it generates alot of files when you compile, do all these files need to be in the same folder as the executable, I have it setup to put all .obj files in a separate folder, and I have it put final files in a separate folder. There are alot of files in the final folder with the .exe, .ilc, .ild, .ilf, .ils and .tds. i think I remember I read somewhere that the intro edition doesn''t let you distribute your exes, how does this work? I sent my friend something I did and it said he was missing a required .dll file, does Borland Compiler generate a .dll file that that program needs to run? Is there anyway to let the exes you create be used by someone elses computer? I like the Borland compiler and everything about it, very easy to use in my opinion, if I can''t use the exes on other computers, what is the version I would need to get to let me do so? I looked at their site and it has some things talking about Borland Builder but I don''t like it very much, i like the c++ compiler they have. If anyone can help, I would be very appreciative, sorry if any of that doesn''t make sense, it''s 5:30, and i''m not firing on all 8 cylinders right now.
Advertisement
It sounds like you are using the free command-line compiler from borland? The only thing necessary to run an exe is the exe itself. If your friend is missing a dll, it is probably some dll that you have from some game you once installed, that he doesn''t have. The message your friend is getting should tell you what dll is missing. If it is not obvious where that dll is, just search for it. It will probably show up in your windows or system folder. Just copy it into the same folder as the exe (or into c:\windows or system if you want to keep it permanently), and everything should work fine.

DLL:
As said, the missing DLL can be found in either windows\system (w9x) winnt\system32 (wnt/w2k) or somewhere in borland''s installation directory (bin would be a good guess). Copying that should allow your exe to be run.

Legal mumbo-jumbo:
''Introductory edition'' means that the program is for learning, not for distribution. You aren''t allowed (legally, by the terms defined in licence agreement) to distribute your software generated with the compiler.

File types:
.il? -files are incremential link files, used to make linking quicker. They can be safely deleted (and sometimes they get corrupt, by which point you will have to delete them).
.tds -file is debug information. Again, it can be safely deleted (unless you want to debug the program), and of course you don''t want to give it to end users.

Opinion:
BC5.02 is quite outdated compiler. I use BCB4 myself, which is far better - anything you can do with BC5 you can do with BCB. Also the compiler is better (BC5 has quite a lot of problems with templates, for example). And despite the popular misconception, You *Don''t* Have To Use VCL With BCB!

~~~ "'impossible' is a word in the dictonary of fools" --Napoleon
Thanks for the responses, I read on my CD and it said Deluxe Edition. So does this mean it is not an intro. edition? also Hway i''m unfamiliar with the abbreviation BCB, what is that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement