3d math

Started by
6 comments, last by caffeineaddict 22 years, 9 months ago
hello. First of all, great forum. I love math and physics, but I haven''t had that many classes yet, i mean as far as the level of game development, I just finished geometry in high school and i''m going to algebra 2, but i have done a little learning on my own since i''m not there yet, well i want to do some more learning on my own. I was just wondering if there were any books you guys thought were good that explained 3d math on a somewhat simplistic level. I am trying to learn 3d programming, I could do some now, but I want some more in depth information. If you know of any good links or books please post them.
Advertisement
To get sufficient knowledge of the mathematical topics used in 3D games programming, you''ll want to take a look at a 1st year University level text on Calculus & Analytic Geometry. You''ll also need an introductory text on Linear Algebra.

Pretty much anything being used as a text book for such classes will suffice for your needs.

Good luck.
Pre-Calculus (Trigonometry) should be your first step. I learned everything about 2D from that.

Going straight to 3D will probably overwhelm you as there''s no simple way to explain it. You can find some BASIC programs I wrote using 2D and 3D math at my site.

http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com/basic/quickbasic/3DBASIC/

Ben
Chapter 3 in "Real-Time Rendering" by Moller and Haines.

----------------------------
www.physicsforums.com
www.opengl.org
----------------------------www.physicsforums.comwww.opengl.org
I appreciate the responses, i''ll take a look at those books
u might want to pick up a a book like practical trigonomitry
or any 3d game programing book will have most of the basic concepts
Although this post is old, I thought I''d make a suggestion in case anyone is still checking it.

The book "3D Graphics Programming: Games and Beyond" by Sergei Savchenko (spelling?) is a good book that explains the basics of 3D math and graphics programming in clear language.

The only thing to watch out for is typos in some of the derivations, but all the final equations are correct, and the typos just give incentive to derive the equations for yourself and truly understand them

So if you want a book that''s not pure math, but 3d math applied to [software] 3D graphics programming then check this out. It''s cheaper than most programming books.

It also comes with code for displaying 3d objects and stuff.

Good luck!
I learned Bresenham''s algorithm, the inside tests Even-Odd and Winding Number, 3D matrix transformation and projection, 2D and 3D clipping from a wonderful little book titled Computer graphics: A Programming Approach by Steven Harrington. It''s second edition was publihsed in 1987; I don''t know if it''s been updated, so it may be hard to find. The book really shines because of its algorithm-intensive approach and deliberate languages independence. All algorithms are stated in a pseudocode syntax that translates well to any language (it''s somewhat similar to ALGOL). Also, if you can find it it''ll be dirt cheap. It covers a lot of stuff modern books don''t because it was written before the advent of the hardware renderer.

Heartily recommended.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement