• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deokhee Lee

OpenGL How many use OpenGL?

This topic is 6227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I think you missed a "not"
Generally, 3D games is not programmed by Direct3D...

Most 3D games sold are not for Windows. Another thing to remember is that over 90% of the commercial game projects that is using Direct3D is losing money.

To be honest do I think that a discussion like this is pointless. What you can do should be more important.

I think OpenGL is much better than Direct3D and we all should support it! M$ has enough money and we must stop them to control everything of the pc market!

The only thing which is better in D3D is D3DX and it''s helper functions for vertices,matrices and so on.... we should create such a thing for OpenGL..or is there something similar?? Don''t know...

...OpenGL 1.3...I think we all know why M$ stops releasing new OpenGL versions for Win.

Bye,
NoMoRe@

www.notatric.de

I agree M$ is not the kind of firm I want to support, and I use OpenGL to release a game on many platforms at once.
(Linux, BeOS, Windows [money guys], maybe MacOS and freeBSD)

About D3DX I think it''s called glu in OpenGL :p

There''s also GLUT at a higher level.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

I''m porting my engine to SDL+OpenGL right now (from the Win32 API and XLib). After I''m done it''ll be readilly compilable on Linux, Win32, BeOS, MacOS, Solaris, IRIX, and FreeBSD. All without changing a thing. The joys of OpenGL . The only annoying thing is dealing with the different directory structures in each OS, but that''s not too bad (I found a way around that).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

The thing with SDL is by the license agreement you''re required to release your source code if you use it. If you''re making something open source that''s fine but if you want to release something commercial and don''t want to release your code, then I wouldn''t use SDL.

quote:
Original post by Obelix
Most 3D games sold are not for Windows

?

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

Edited by - Martee on June 26, 2001 7:05:03 PM

I don''t use OpenGL, not at all. Nope, not me.

Anyhoo, I sure hope this won''t turn into a Direct3D vs. OpenGL flame war, cuz I''d have to take out my big shiny sword on this thread (wink wink nudge nudge), so keep it civilized.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials

>>quote:
Original post by Obelix
Most 3D games sold are not for Windows
?
<<
consoles

i believe the latest sales figures show less than 15% of games sold in 2000 were for pc''s.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

... which is fine, except that this thread is about OGL vs. D3D ... and most consoles DON''T use OpenGL. So I fail to see what Obelix''s point is.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!