How many use OpenGL?

Started by
13 comments, last by Deokhee Lee 22 years, 9 months ago
Let''s see : Sony PS2, Nintendo GameCube and (rumors)the Xbox have an OpenGL implementation...

Guess what, I think you can use OpenGL on consoles.
Also you can use it on windows if you wish and you can use it for your favorite OS probably.

Cross dev for console, PCs in a single API that''s good
(of course you''ll have to change things a bit, but not that much)

And to answer the first question :
Noone is using OpenGL, see there''s no questions about OpenGL in this board, and John Carmack isn''t coding DOOMIII using almost every GeForce3 capabilities.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Supernova
The thing with SDL is by the license agreement you''re required to release your source code if you use it. If you''re making something open source that''s fine but if you want to release something commercial and don''t want to release your code, then I wouldn''t use SDL.

Sorry, but that is a misconception. SDL is under the LGPL and not under the GPL. This means, you only have to release your sourcecode if you mix your sourcecode with theirs. Use their sourcecode for your own purposes, and link with SDL dynamically and you should be fine.

To qoute the license page, at their site (www.libsdl.org)
quote:
The most common way to comply with the license is to dynamically link with SDL, and then include the SDL source code and appropriate notices with your application

The Dreamcast and the XBox support D3D. So I guess it''s tied at two until the final verdict on the XBox is in . My point is, this isn''t exactly a commanding lead for OpenGL.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I read the xbox would support OpenGL.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Xbox will support OpenGL. Nvidia made the graphics system in the X-Box and nvidia has been a leader in OpenGL performance and features over the past few years. I doubt they would shoot themselves in the foot now by NOT supporting OpenGL.

And yes.. using SDL doen NOT meant you have to release you game OpenSource, if you expand SDL source directly you have to release your modifications, but not if you are just using the API.

OpenGL is supported on almost every high end graphics device I know of ( including all consoles ). It''s a nice well rounded API that has the full possibility for hardware accelleration ( including t&l ) without any modifications.

OpenGL is one of the best example of a portable library there are, it can scale from CPU driven to almost completly hardware accelerated without a single code change. D3d as I understand it is only NOW w7 & 8 getting to the point where it can hope to compete with OpenGL in terms of ease of use and expandability.

To say that Dx & D3d are the only API for mainstream gaming would be sticking your head in the ground and not using some of the most popular games as examples.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement